Quote of the Week "Participating in the Sprint All-Star Race is very rewarding for me and the Miller Lite Dodge team. It's an indication that you have achieved success in your profession and allows you to participate in a stand-alone event...
Quote of the Week
"Participating in the Sprint All-Star Race is very rewarding for me and the Miller Lite Dodge team. It's an indication that you have achieved success in your profession and allows you to participate in a stand-alone event unlike any other we have. Just as Major League Baseball has their All-Star game or the PGA has the Masters, NASCAR fans and drivers get to enjoy our special weekend of racing in a unique format unlike no other in our sport."
Driver, No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger
DODGE AT THE ALL-STAR
* Ryan Newman (2002) became the second rookie to win the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race. Newman's margin of victory was a mere 0.158 seconds. He finished second in the 2004 event to Matt Kenseth.
* A Dodge driver has earned the pole four of the last five All-Star races (Bill Elliott '03, Rusty Wallace '04, Ryan Newman '05 and Kasey Kahne '06).
* Current Dodge drivers Kurt Busch ('03), Ryan Newman ('04) and Elliott Sadler ('05) finished runner-up in consecutive All-Star races.
DID YOU KNOW?
* Saturday night's event will be the 24th running of the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race. All have been run at Lowe's Motor Speedway with the exception of the second (1986) which was contested at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
* Darrell Waltrip won the inaugural All-Star race in 1985. Waltrip's $200,000 share of the $500,000 purse was the largest payout in NASCAR history at the time, eclipsing the $185,500 won by Bill Elliott in the 1985 Daytona 500.
* The No. 12 Alltel Dodge pit crew won the 2007 NASCAR Sprint Pit Crew Challenge team competition. The seven man team won the four-tire pit stop and Craftsman Car Push with a time of 24.66 seconds. The team also had the quickest overall time (23.35 in the quarterfinals).
* The first $1 million payday for the winner of the All-Star was in 2003.
LOWE'S TRACK FACTS
* Lights were installed at Lowe's Motor Speedway in 1992 for the all-star event which was called The Winston at that time.
* LMS was the first major motorsports facility in the country with a corporate sponsor (Lowe's -1992).
* George Washington ate lunch and rested in a house that once served as the speedway's office.
* Lowe's Motor Speedway was repaved in 2006.
-credit: dodge motorsports