Checa and Melandri hindered by rain in Spain. Poor weather conditions affected the second day of the Jerez IRTA tests in Spain today, soaking the track in the morning so much that it didn't fully dry by the end of the day. Thirteen of the...
Checa and Melandri hindered by rain in Spain.
Poor weather conditions affected the second day of the Jerez IRTA tests in Spain today, soaking the track in the morning so much that it didn't fully dry by the end of the day. Thirteen of the fifteen MotoGP riders present ventured out. Fortuna Yamaha Team rider Marco Melandri completed a total of just thirteen laps in the wet conditions while team-mate Carlos Checa chose to wait until the weather improves to ride his latest evolution of the Yamaha YZR-M1.
Team Director Davide Brivio commented: "We are not too worried to have lost one day as we still have some time to prepare for the first race. Carlos didn't go out because the track still wasn't totally dry. He has already tested in wet conditions so it's better that he doesn't take any risks this close to the start of the Championship. There isn't much point him testing now unless he can push the bike to its maximum limit. Marco did some laps to get used to the wet because he still needs to practice this on the M1."
Spaniard Checa recorded the second fastest time of 1'43.2s in yesterday's action, and Italian Melandri recorded the fifth fastest time of 1'43.8s. Better weather conditions are forecast for tomorrow's action.
LAP TIMES (WET CONDITIONS)
1. Shinya Nakano, D'Antin Yamaha 1'45.214
2. Troy Bayliss, Ducati Marlboro Team 1'45.640
3. Colin Edwards, Alice Aprilia Racing 1'47.982
4. Loris Capirossi, Ducati Marlboro Team 1'48.091
5. Garry McCoy, Fuchs Kawasaki Racing 1'48.263
6. Noriyuki Haga, Alice Aprilia Racing 1'48.314
7. Kenny Roberts, Suzuki Grand Prix 1'48.488
8. John Hopkins, Suzuki Grand Prix 1'48.709
9. Alex Hoffman, Fuchs Kawasaki Racing 1'48.875
10. Andrew Pitt, Fuchs Kawasaki Racing 1'49.851
Marco Melandri, Fortuna Yamaha Team 1'56.7 (13 laps)