Yamaha MotoGP boss Lin Jarvis says it's Jorge Lorenzo's decision as to whether he stays on board for 2017, the Spaniard having been made "the best offer he has ever received" from the marque.
Lorenzo’s manager Albert Valera revealed to Motorsport.com that the three-time premier class champion had been made an offer to stay on by Yamaha, but is in the process of considering his options.
Speculation linking the Spaniard to a Ducati move has intensified in the wake of Valentino Rossi’s recent new deal to stay at Yamaha, which was confirmed on Saturday morning.
Speaking in Qatar, Jarvis confirmed that offers were made to both Rossi and Lorenzo concurrently, but only the former chose to sign.
“Jorge had said he wanted to renew his contract before the season began, so considering that we sent offers to both riders earlier this week,” said Jarvis.
“Valentino decided to sign his, and Jorge did not.”
Jarvis also made it clear that there would be no further room for negotiation with Lorenzo, adding: “This is the best offer he has ever received from Yamaha, the best we can offer. He must decide whether to continue with us or leave.
“It’s clear we want him to stay, but if he chooses to leave, that’s life.”
Asked which other manufacturers Lorenzo could be considering, Jarvis replied: “Presumably Ducati, because Honda already has a top rider [Marc Marquez].
“Ducati has two good riders, but they are looking for one of the four fastest.”
Valera also clarified that Lorenzo has yet to receive a formal offer to join Ducati, but hinted one could be made in the coming days.
Additional reporting by Oriol Puigdemont