Vinales announces new two-year deal with Yamaha

MotoGP rider Maverick Vinales has announced he will remain with Yamaha until at least 2020, having agreed a new two-year deal with the manufacturer.

Vinales shared the news during Yamaha's official 2018 season launch event on Wednesday in Madrid.

"The reasons [for re-signing] are because I feel very good inside the team, I feel the competitiveness, and especially I felt the desire to win," Vinales said. "It's something I like, it's something I want.

"We arrive at a really good compromise, and I think for both [sides] it'll be really special and good.

"Thanks to Yamaha, because always they make my dreams come true, and let's see if this year we can do another one."

A former Moto3 champion, Vinales joined Yamaha ahead of the 2017 MotoGP season, arriving on a two-year deal after two premier-class campaigns with Suzuki.

The 23-year-old Spaniard won his first two races with Yamaha but couldn't sustain a title challenge until the end of the season, eventually finishing third in the riders' standings.

Teammate Valentino Rossi was likewise on a two-year deal running until 2018, and is yet to announce a contract extension.

Team boss Lin Jarvis said back in October of last year that he did not expect Rossi to sign a new deal early in 2018, believing the 38-year-old Italian would likely take until around the Mugello race weekend to decide whether or not he wants to carry on in MotoGP.

 
Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series MotoGP
Drivers Maverick Viñales
Teams Yamaha Factory Racing
Article type Breaking news