Silverstone secures two-year MotoGP deal

Silverstone will host the British round of the MotoGP championship this year and in 2016 after reaching a deal with the Circuit of Wales.

Donington was scheduled to host the event while the CoW is being built, but it announced earlier this week it had ended its deal with the Welsh track, claiming it had not met its part of the agreement.

On Wednesday, Silverstone confirmed a new deal to be the home of the MotoGP event once more, having lost the rights at the end of last year.

"We want to thank the new management at Silverstone, our partners at Dorna and our investors for the rapid response needed to support the 2015 event when it became clear that we would be unlikely to conclude the contractual arrangements at Donington," said Circuit of Wales boss Michael Carrick.

"We are delighted to secure the future of the event for the next two years while our circuit in Wales is under construction.

"Today's announcement ensures we will have the 2015 British round of MotoGP."

The event will take place on the weekend of 28-30 August.

Carrick added work on the new circuit will begin as soon as a public inquiry has finished.

"We continue to advance our development activity on the Circuit of Wales and are focused on the upcoming public inquiry into the deregistration of the common land," he said.

"We expect construction to commence once this inquiry has concluded."

 

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series MotoGP
Article type Breaking news
Tags silverstone