WKA: Delaware Dirt Divisional round four report

Three double at DE Dirt Divisional DELMAR, DE-Three racers scored double wins during round four of the WKA/Delaware Dirt Divisional Series at US 13 Kartway in Delmar, DE Saturday July 12. Tod Miller Racing Engines powered Olimpic kart...

Three double at DE Dirt Divisional

DELMAR, DE-Three racers scored double wins during round four of the WKA/Delaware Dirt Divisional Series at US 13 Kartway in Delmar, DE Saturday July 12.

Tod Miller Racing Engines powered Olimpic kart pilot Charles Vallandingham, of Mechanicsville, MD won Briggs Medium and Stock Heavy. He was also first under Stock Lite's checkered flag in a race that is under protest. Lewes, DE based Brandon While bagged Junior Champ and Junior 1 Lite and Shannon Morris, of Wyoming, DE, dominated the Animal and Outlaw classes.

Vallandingham was the first of the trio to post a win. He spun Stock Heavy's third fastest qualifying lap at 13.828 seconds reaching 51.066 mph. Chad Hayes, of Georgetown, DE, earned the pole with a13.797 seconds trip and was the race's early leader. Vallandingham grabbed the lead just after the first lap was booked and then surrendered it to fifth place starter Jamie Lewes. They traded the lead several times before mid race and then after Lewis took that signal Vallandingham took the lead to the stripe.

"I'd like to thank God for a safe race. It just took a long time for the kart to really come in, but once it came in it got really good," Vallandingham explained. "The Olimpic kart was just awesome, Tod Miller power had me rolling really good. Tod Miller and Marc Mode make it real easy."

Four races later Vallandingham was poised on Briggs Medium's pole after turning a 13.129 seconds lap that topped out at 54.840 mph. From there Vallandingham led the 12-racer field flawlessly ending with a 2.149 seconds advantage over third place starter Richie Hornsby.

"I've got to thank God again for a safe race. Jimmy Gates is a real big help he tells me everything to do to the kart. Between Marc Mode, Jimmy and Tod Miller they make it real easy, they make racing a lot easier than it use to be. The kart was great from start to finish that time," Vallandingham credited. "On the first race it was a little loose at the start, this time it went good from lap one. It worried me a little taking it into traffic, but they were nice enough to give me a little room. I've got a lot of respect for them guys for giving me plenty of room and I want to thank them for that."

White earned his first win in Briggs Junior Champ where he built a comfortable 2.038 seconds cushion at the stripe over pole winner Nick Hughes. Hughes spun a 14.405 seconds lap that reached 49.879 mph for the pole and White's top qualifying lap of 14.435 seconds at 49.879 mph earned him the outside front row starting spot.

When the green flag waved White burst into the early lead over Hughes. Before a full lap was booked the race's only caution flag waved. Hughes led the restart with White quickly reeling him in. Once he got the lead White tightened his grip with every lap until the end.

"It wasn't much of a challenge getting the lead back. The kart handled good and the motor Moon Power Racing Engines built me was great," beamed the 10- year-old winner after his first victory.

White blistered the track with a 13.761 seconds lap at 52.322 mph for Junior Sportsman 1 Lite's pole. He and outside pole winner Cameron Collins, of Millsboro, DE, fought back and forth for the early lead. White was leading when the first two of three caution flags waved. When racing resumed Collins grabbed the lead and held it through another. Less that a lap after the second restart, while trying to hold off a hard charging White, Collins spun and was struck by another kart awarding the win to White.

"It was challenging to get the lead this time," White described. "It was back and forth between him and me. The kart handled perfect and the motor was strong."

White trailed Collins earlier in Briggs Junior Sportsman 1 Heavy. White won that outside pole with a 14.589 seconds lap and started next to Scott Hitchens. White hustled into the early lead and had Collins, who started third, hanging on his tailpipe. White dove under him when they got the five laps to go signal and then before he could lead a lap he got hung up behind a lapped kart allowing Collins to recaptured the lead. White worked his way around the lapped kart and closed in on Collins, but trailed him by 0.190 seconds across the stripe.

"It was fun," said the nine-year-old HP Speed Shop, of Georgetown, DE, powered Phantom kart pilot. "I thought Brandon White was going to win and then he got held up by that lapped kart and I just got it back from there. The Phantom Nemesis kart handled really good and the Hayes Power motor was going really good."

After turning a top-qualifying lap of 12.935 seconds at 55.663 mph Morris led the field flag to flag taking the final flag with a 1.896 seconds edge over outside pole winning Pat McWilliams.

"I don't know about that track, but we worked on tires all day and got pretty good horsepower out there, but I think it was a driving thing," said the Morris's Karts-n-Parts, Land Prep Excavation, Welch's Lawn & Garden, Durham Electric, Strouce Electric, Morris Signs & Graphics sponsored winner. "The Phantom chassis handled pretty good we're going to try her again in Open and see what we've got. When we sat on the pole we know we had a pretty good shot at it."

Morris ended a perfect evening with a second wire-to-wire win this one in Out Law Open. He cranked out a 12.612 seconds pole winning lap at 57.088 mph and ended the race 1.193 seconds ahead of Ezra Richards.

"Two-for-two, that's pretty good, not bad," Morris beamed. "I had a little trouble in the corners were the track's a little rough, but we got her. It takes a lot of preparation to come here and win two races, it takes a lot of prep."

His nephew, Brandon Morris, won Junior 3 Lite from a third place start. Josh Hughes handled qualifying with a 13.150 seconds 54.753 mph lap and hustled into the early lead. Morris quickly took second and was glued to Hughes tailpipe. He took the lead, led them under the halfway signal, then just as he was opening a little cushion, the first of two caution flags waved. Morris led the restart and did it again two laps later before beating Brooks Smith to the stripe by just 0.867 seconds.

"Man it was hard getting the lead, but I got up there. Hughes was running fast all day, but we got him. The track was getting a little rough at the end, but the huggies were holding in there. The cautions worried me a little bit, I had Brooks Smith on my back," said the 14-year-old Camden, DE driver who added thanks to the same sponsors his uncle did.

Junior 3 Heavy's finish was under protest a press time. Pole winner Josh Hughes led the 16-racer field through three cautions then officials ended before they went the distance.

Predator kart pilot Nick Hughes notched Junior 2 Lite's win over top qualifier Cameron Mattox who produced a 13.357 seconds lap at 53.904 mph. Mattox blasted into the early lead with Hughes looking high and low for away around him. When the chance came between turns one and two Hughes took it and held off Mattox down to a 1.155 seconds finish line difference.

"It was wild," beamed the 12-year-old Hampstead, MD based Kirby Racing Engines powered pilot. "My kart was perfect thanks to my dad's setup, I didn't think I could pass him he's always been faster then me. I'd like to say thanks to Bryan, his dad my mom, my dad and everybody else that helped especially my brother."

Matt Jester captured Briggs Controlled's checkered flag from a third place start. He quickly worked the G-Man Kartworks/Grotto's Pizza sponsored R&R Racing Technology/Super Tech powered Phantom Racing Chassis past pole winner Charles Hayes and held him off by just 0.268 seconds at the end.

"I was just waiting for them to mess up and finally they slid a little high in turn one and I had to take the opportunity," Jester described. "The kart was good and the motor was pulling. He had a little more horsepower then I did, but we made it out."

After winning Junior Sportsman 2 Heavy's pole with a 13.779 seconds lap Cameron Mattox led the feature flag-to-flag through a pair of restarts. Mattox, a HP Speed Shop powered Shadow kart pilot rocketed into the early lead and fought off third place qualifier Michael Scott who trailed him by 0.886 seconds.

"The kart came in after that last restart and it was fast and the HP Speed Shop motor worked awesome, " Mattox said.

Glen Renfro decisively ruled Senior Champ. The Manchester, MD based James Kirby Racing Engines powered Reaper kart pilot posted the pole lap at 13.719 seconds reaching 52.482 mph. When the green flag flew so did Renfro who built a huge 3.832 seconds lead over outside pole winner Will Stanley by the end.

"The kart handled like a dream. It was just on a rail. Everything about it just went good," Renfro said. "The motor's brand new and we have to go to the Ohio Dirt Nationals next weekend and I hate to tear it down, but we'll do it all over again."

It was Bryan Bradford's day in Limited; even he admitted it after the win. "We got lucky on that one, we were kind of outclassed. Even though he earned the pole with a 12.757 seconds lap, multi time Delaware Divisional Limited Champion Randy Wroten's Taz Power Racing Engines powered vintage kart was starting next door. As usual Wroten blasted into the early led and quickly opening a comfortable cushion over the field. Suddenly his motor blew. Ezra Richards inherited the lead briefly before spinning off the track, which brought out the caution flag. Richards went to the rear and Bradford, of Salisbury, MD, led the restart and held it across the finish line where he was 1.229 seconds ahead of Kenny Peek.

"I'd like to thank Jeffery Perry and everybody at P&P Speed Shop for the awesome horsepower, everybody at Phantom Racing Chassis for the awesome Phantom Nemesis chassis."

Thomas Adkins, of Sharptown, MD, topped Senior Stock trailed by Mike Reynolds of Lincoln who was 1.611 seconds late. Adkins and Renfro shared front row. Adkins turned a 13.282 seconds lap and Renfro a 13.313. Adkins showed them around the first lap as Reynolds and Ace Adkins battled for second behind him. Reynolds broke free of Ace Adkins and went after Thomas Adkins passing him down the front straightaway. Reynolds barely led a lap before the race's second caution flag flew returning the lead to Thomas Adkins who prevailed from there.

"That restart was everything," Adkins said. "It got me back out front and then I was able to just drive a little differently than I was and held the position. I want to thank Dave and P&P Motor Shop for all the help they've given me the last few months and my girlfriend Jo Ann and the Bradford's and the Collins and everybody that's supported my racing and the Lord."

Salisbury, MD based Troy Davis notched his first divisional win taking Super Heavy by 1.820 seconds over one of the best in the business HP Speed Shop powered Charles Hayes. Davis dominated qualifying with a 13.175 seconds lap and then led the field through a single restart while Hayes worked his way through the field from a seventh place start.

"This is the first state race I've ever one," Davis shouted. "I qualified on the pole today and it felt good, real good. Man she handled like a dream and had all kinds of power from my brother's motor."

WKA/Delaware Dirt Divisional Series racers return to US 13 Kartway Saturday August 9 for round five of seven.

By Bruce C. Walls, Guest Writer

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Kart
Drivers Matt Jester , Tod Miller , Brooks Smith , Cameron Mattox , Nick Hughes , Bryan Bradford , Chad Hayes , Thomas Adkins , Cameron Collins
Teams Williams