WKA's Pit Board - 05.11.2010 *** Round 3 of WKA Road Racing Series set to go this weekend at Roebling Road 05.11.2010 - The WKA Dunlop Tire Road Racing Series driven by Mazda renews its 2010 season this weekend at Roebling Road Raceway ...
WKA's Pit Board - 05.11.2010
Round 3 of WKA Road Racing Series set to go this weekend at Roebling Road
05.11.2010 - The WKA Dunlop Tire Road Racing Series driven by Mazda renews its 2010 season this weekend at Roebling Road Raceway near Savannah, Georgia. The annual Roebling national marks the third of eight stops on this year's tour, and it will be the final Road Racing national in the Southeast until August when the series visits VIRginia Int'l Raceway.
The Road Racing Series has been visiting Roebling Road since the early 1980s. The series ran at Roebling from around 1980 until 1985, when an eight-year hiatus ensued before the national series returned in 1994. The series ran at Roebling for three years in the mid-90s, before taking another break from the 2.2-mile circuit until 2005. There was no national in '06, but the tour returned in 2007 and this season will mark the fourth consecutive Road Racing national at Roebling.
On the entry-count front, the Southern Kart Club, which hosts Roebling Road enduro-style karting events, will be attempting to top last year's turnout of 270 entries. If this happens, it will mark the third straight national the Road Racing Series has seen an increase in entry counts. Both the Daytona opener and second round at Kershaw, S.C., saw better turnouts than the previous season's events at those venues.
The best turnout for a national at Roebling Road came in 2007, when the number reached 432.
Here is information regarding special giveaways and social functions at this weekend's Roebling national.
* Jimmy Sims from Box Stock Project engines will be giving away one motor to the highest finishing racer in the International 4-cycle (Clone) classes that compete using box stock engines.
* One Briggs LO206 motor from Briggs & Stratton Racing will be given to a lucky Briggs driver, selected at random, who is entered in a race class this weekend.
* For the 2-cycle racers, SKC will be giving away American Power Sports gift certificates drawn from the entries.
* On Saturday night, there is a full slate of activities after the motors go silent. The Great Bike Race is scheduled for Saturday after the last class of racers leaves the track. The event is for kids up to age 12. Pedal power only! Each child will need their bike, closed toe shoes and a helmet. All participants will receive a trophy. Kids over 12 (adults) may race around the full track for "bragging rights" to follow.
* There will be a Bar-B-Que Saturday night free to all that attend the event, and the menu will be: Wild hog - (marinated and rubbed, then smoked and basted with a special blend of BBQ sauce), 100 percent beef hot dogs, and 90 percent lean ground beef hamburgers.
* Roy Beatty will be preparing his own delicacy that is reminiscent of a chili-type dish, but with a southern twist. Hamburger, several kinds of beans, special sauce and a SECRET INGREDIENT make this dish one to remember!
* Jeff Mott is bringing Apalachicola oysters. For those not in the mood to 'eat 'em raw!' cooks will cook them on the grill per request.
* SKC is asking racers, crew members and family to bring your own beverages and a side item or dessert to share.
* Winners of drawings will be announced Saturday night at the Bar-B-Que.
Gates will be open Thursday from 6 to 10 p.m. for parking and pre-entry pickup. Gates open Friday at 7 a.m. with the drivers' meeting slated for 8 and practice beginning at 8:30. Gates open at 7 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
For more information on this weekend's affairs at Roebling Road, go to www.WorldKarting.com.