CUNNINGHAM WINS RACE, HOWARD INDY PRO SERIES CROWN JOLIET, Ill., Saturday, Sept. 9, 2006 -- Rookie Jay Howard secured his first Indy Pro Series Championship with his third place in the Chicagoland 100. The 2005 series champion, Wade...
CUNNINGHAM WINS RACE, HOWARD INDY PRO SERIES CROWN
JOLIET, Ill., Saturday, Sept. 9, 2006 -- Rookie Jay Howard secured his first Indy Pro Series Championship with his third place in the Chicagoland 100.
The 2005 series champion, Wade Cunningham, won the race, securing the entrant championship for Brian Stewart Racing, its second consecutive entrant championship in the Indy Pro Series.
CHICAGOLAND 100 POST-RACE NOTES:
* This is Wade Cunningham's third victory of the season and the fourth win of his Indy Pro Series career. His last victory came at the Carneros 100 at Infineon Raceway in August.
* This is the fourth win for Brian Stewart Racing in the Indy Pro Series. It previously won with Cunningham at California Speedway last October, Indianapolis in May and Infineon Raceway in August.
* Cunningham's win helped Brian Stewart Racing win the Indy Pro Series entrant championship for the second consecutive win.
* Jonathan Klein finished his eighth consecutive top-five finish of the season.
* Jay Howard finished third, enough to clinch the Indy Pro Series championship. It is his first series championship.
CHICAGOLAND 100 POST-RACE QUOTES:
JONATHAN KLEIN (No. 27 Klein Tools/Turn-Key Forging Dallara/Honda/Firestone, finished second in championship and race): "You know, I'm upset. I wanted to win that championship so badly. I don't know who led the most laps but we were definitely up there; Wade, myself and Jay. It is the way it goes. Jay is a hell of a driver and he has got years of experience on me. He showed that all year. Just that little bit more of experience helps out. We all have great cars especially on these 1.5 mile ovals. It was a hell of a race. I had fun out there. It just makes me come back hungrier for next year."