Notes & Quotes: Honda Indy Toronto Ryan Hunter-Reay: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda/Firestone * Ryan Hunter-Reay on Toronto: "Toronto is similar to Long Beach and St Petersburg. We have to get the car working out of some of the...
Notes & Quotes: Honda Indy Toronto
Ryan Hunter-Reay: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda/Firestone
* Ryan Hunter-Reay on Toronto: "Toronto is similar to Long Beach and St Petersburg. We have to get the car working out of some of the tight corners and onto the long straights. It's a fun race track and at the same time you just need to get the car to work right over the rough surfaces. It's an issue of getting the compliance right on the car with the dampers and springs; we'll work away at it. It will be my first time back there in four years. That was where I got one of my first Barber Dodge Pro Series victories so I'm looking forward to going back."
* Past performance at Toronto: In the recent past, Ryan Hunter-Reay had three starts in the race with his best start coming in 2004 driving for Herdez and his best finish of sixth coming in 2005 for Rocketsports. The Foyt team started racing at Toronto in 1988 with A.J. Foyt driving the first three years followed by Mike Groff who gave the team its best start of ninth in 1991 (finished eighth). Jon Beekhuis drove for the team in 1992 and Robby Gordon gave the team its best finish of sixth in 1993 after starting 12th. Bryan Herta had a serious accident in 1994 at the track and didn't compete in the race while Eddie Cheever started and finished 11th in the team's last appearance in Toronto.
* Ryan Hunter-Reay has visited Toronto and the surrounding area many times in his youth as his mother is a native of Hamilton, Ontario. He spent some holidays there and visited during the summers as well. He still has relatives in the Toronto area.
* A.J. Foyt took a detour to Indianapolis en route to Toronto to do an interview on Wednesday with NASCAR star Tony Stewart for ABC/ESPN 's pre-race show on the Brickyard 400. The interview was conducted on the yard of bricks at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Amidst much good-natured ribbing, the two men revealed their deeply held respect for each other. Stewart announced his decision to start his own team in partnership with Haas Racing in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series nearly a year ago. He chose the No. 14 for his car in honor of A.J. Foyt's illustrious history with the number which had been campaigned by the likes of past Indianapolis 500 winners Wilbur Shaw and Bill Vukovich. The last time the No. 14 visited victory lane was ten years ago when Kenny Brack won the Indy 500 driving for Foyt.
* The Honda Indy Toronto will be broadcast live at 1:00 p.m. eastern time Sunday afternoon, July 12 on ABC-TV.
* For more information on the Foyt Racing program, please check these web sites: www.ajfoytracing.com and www.ryanracing.com