Darren Manning: ABC Supply No. 14 Dallara/Honda/Firestone * Darren Manning on the best part of racing at Texas: "I think it must be the close racing. You get help from the banking so even if your car isn't perfect, you can still run with the...
Darren Manning: ABC Supply No. 14 Dallara/Honda/Firestone
* Darren Manning on the best part of racing at Texas: "I think it must be the close racing. You get help from the banking so even if your car isn't perfect, you can still run with the lead pack. This year, with so many more cars entered (28) and being so competitive, I think you'll see a much bigger pack. The turns are more open than they are at a place like Kansas so there'll be more side-by-side racing. Running under the lights gives the race more atmosphere. It's not that much different for the drivers because the lighting is so good on the track but all-around, it should be a great night of racing for the fans."
* The key to a good result at Texas Motor Speedway: "Focusing on our race set-up will be the key because we need to have a really good car for the whole fuel stint. Unlike Indy or Milwaukee where track position is very important because passing cars is so difficult, Texas is wide open in that regard. But with the big pack racing that we have at Texas, you have to make the car work well in the draft. "
* Augmented training regimen for Manning: Taking advantage of the summer weather and living on a lake, Manning bought a kayak. "It's a lot of fun and it develops strength in the upper body and back muscles which you use in driving," he explained. And he can work on his tan!
* Last race at Texas: Manning would have had a good run, having qualified 11th, but the car had a big push early and after six laps he pitted under green; the crew found he had a cut right rear tire. They lost two laps. There was a problem with IRL scoring (pace car picked up wrong leader) and it cost the team another lap. Manning continued to run until a multi-car accident knocked out his right front suspension. He logged enough laps to finish 13th.
* Best Finishes at TMS: Manning's best finish at Texas came in 2004 when as a rookie he finished eighth. The Foyt team's best finish is first which they did with Billy Boat in 1998 (and in '97 although official records show Boat was credited with second behind Arie Luyendyk). In '98, Foyt's other car, with driver Kenny Brack, finished third. More recently, the Foyt team's best finish was third in 2002 with Airton Dare and 10th in 2005 with A.J. Foyt IV.