Darren Manning: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda * Manning on Indy momentum: "Indy provided a big boost to our ABC Supply team which is great since our next race is in or sponsor's home state of Wisconsin. The Company always brings a...
Darren Manning: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda
* Manning on Indy momentum: "Indy provided a big boost to our ABC Supply team which is great since our next race is in or sponsor's home state of Wisconsin. The Company always brings a lot of employees to the track so we want to give them something to cheer about. We're feeling really good about our chances there. The track is similar to Indy in that it is a flat track but you run a lot more downforce. It requires more driver input than the superspeedways which I like. It's tough to pass which makes it more like a road course so you have to get the car comfortable enough so that you can put it where others can't. Milwaukee is the type of track where the good cars really show up and the bad cars can't hide."
* Over 850 ABC Supply employees and guests will be on hand this weekend to see the fourth annual ABC Supply/AJ Foyt 225.
* AMZ Construction of Green Bay, WI is this weekend's winners of the ABC Supply Your Name Here Promotion for its customers. The company name will be put on the top of the sidepods of the No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda. Patrick Zoeller and his guest will receive selected merchandise, race tickets, hospitality and garage passes, plus a Meet and Greet with A.J. Foyt and Darren Manning. The "Your Name Here" promotion selected winners by random drawing from a pool of entries sent in by ABC Supply customers earlier this year.
* The ABC Supply/AJ Foyt 225 will be shown live at 4:00 p.m. eastern time Sunday, June 1 on ABC-TV.
Indy 500 Miscellaneous Notes....
* Indianapolis' Eastwood Middle School students paid a visit to the Speedway and were treated to a meet and greet with Darren Manning trackside. Manning answered questions from the crowd of nearly 90 seventh-graders who had been to foytracing.com to learn about Darren and the race team. Manning signed 90 hero cards which he left with the kids before joining his team for practice. As a thank you, the students created a photo montage poster and signed it, adding their own personal wishes for success in the race.
* Once again Darren Manning commissioned a special design for his Indy 500 helmet. This year's pale lime green helmet bore the names of his family members including his parents, sister, her children as well that of his girlfriend and her son's names. Unlike his owner, Manning doesn't believe in the superstition that green is an unlucky color. Last year's helmet was dedicated to A.J. Foyt's 50th Indy 500 and given to A.J. after the race.
* "Parents' weekend" could describe this year's Indy 500 for the ABC Supply team. In addition to driver Darren Manning's parents Val and Peter making the trip from England, other team members' parents also came to the race. Team director Larry Foyt's mother flew in for the race from Houston while team manager Craig Baranouski's dad Bob drove in from Craig's native Michigan. Rookie crew member Brian McEntire's parents Jackie and Chuck Whiting and left rear tire changer Kevin Ockwood's dad Jeff flew in from Texas to see their first Indy 500. The team's chief engineer and native Ohioan Mike Colliver's parents Bob and Merrilyn have been watching the race from the same top row seats in turn three since the late 1950s. The prize for longest distance travelled however goes to part-time crew member Tetsuo Kuramochi of Utsonomiya, Japan. Kuramochi's parents Masao and Ikumi flew in from Tokyo on Saturday to see their first live Indy 500. After the race they flew to New York to tour Manhattan for a couple days before heading back to Japan.
* Continental Airlines' Online Auction winners of the Indy 500 VIP Weekend Mike and Rita Burke, of Austin, Texas, began their memorable weekend in Gasoline Alley's Garage A-1 on Saturday where they met driver Darren Manning and team owner A.J. Foyt. Manning had to leave shortly afterwards for the parade downtown but Foyt, who owns a summer home in Austin, spent time with them talking about Texas.
* CitizenKate.TV's Kate Soglin visited the ABC Supply team the day of Indiana's Democratic primary. What resulted was a hilarious video: Indy 500 Tips to Win the Presidential Race as the comedian learns tips from Darren Manning and A.J. Foyt in the team's garage at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Check out the featured video posted last Saturday.