* Tagliani and Andretti made contact on lap 1 in the hairpin, knocking the tire ramp from the ...
* Tagliani and Andretti made contact on lap 1 in the hairpin, knocking the tire ramp from the #77 car. It didn't do any additional damage, and Alex continued and was running in 8th place.
* Alex continued running in 8th position throughout the first stint and then pitted for the first time on lap 29.
* During the first stop there was a fuel flow issue and the full amount of fuel didn't make it on board the #77 car.
* The team pitted a 2nd time on lap 49 to fill the car fully with fuel, hoping to make it to the end of the race by stretching fuel. But based on the number of yellows in the early part of the race, the team knew they would need a 3rd stop to make it to the end of the 85 lap event.
* On lap 60 there was a full course yellow and the team made the decision to make a 3rd and final stop and go to red tires with the intent to allow Alex to race fully to the end of the 85 lap race.
* On the restart on lap 65, Alex had contact damaging the front suspension which ended his day.
* Tagliani started 9th and finished 10th in last year's Long Beach event while driving for Conquest Racing.
* In previous Long Beach race events Tagliani's best start was 2nd in 2008 in a co-run event with the Indy Racing League and the Champ Car World Series and his best finish was 3rd in 2006 racing in the Champ Car World Series.
Driver Alex Tagliani on the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Race:
"We just had a tough day today and it's just a shame for the team. We had contact on the first lap with Marco Andretti in the hairpin but we recovered and stayed up front, running with the leaders. Unfortunately on our first stop we had an issue with our refueling, I think the butterfly was stuck, and we didn't get enough fuel into the car. From that point on we realized we were in trouble. We had to make a second stop that we hoped we wouldn't have to make and then when we came in on the last yellow to get fuel and they put us in the back of the pack and on the restart I was trying to make my way up and I got tangled up with someone and it damaged the front suspension. The team is doing well though and we have the speed in qualifying so this little glitch was unfortunate today and we're going to try and fix it and make sure we don't put ourselves in a trouble situation again."
Team Manager Rob Edwards on the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Race:
"It's very disappointing. We had a good weekend up to the race and a good first stint. Alex did a super job of running good fuel mileage and good lap times in the first segment but unfortunately we had a problem on the first pit stop and didn't get all the fuel we needed in the car. So we didn't have enough to get to the end on one more stop. We gambled to try and do that and went as long as we could with the fuel we had on board and we were trying to go to the end. On the last yellow, based on how many yellows there were in the early part of the race, we decided to come in, take a splash of fuel and put red tires on and let Alex get racy for the last 20 laps and unfortunately on the restart we had contact and that was the end of our day. But overall, it was a good weekend, good qualifying and now we're going to look forward to the ovals at Kansas and Indianapolis."