DOLLAR GENERAL STORES, SFR SET TO MAKE KENTUCKY SPEEDWAY DEBUT SPARTA, KY (August 5, 2008) -- Although Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) and Dollar General are set to make their Kentucky Speedway debut for the upcoming Meijer Indy 300, driver Sarah...
DOLLAR GENERAL STORES, SFR SET TO MAKE KENTUCKY SPEEDWAY DEBUT
SPARTA, KY (August 5, 2008) -- Although Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) and Dollar General are set to make their Kentucky Speedway debut for the upcoming Meijer Indy 300, driver Sarah Fisher is no stranger to the 1.5-mile oval. With six previous starts, Fisher has led 35 laps, owns the track qualifying record and has a best finish of third at Kentucky Speedway. Her No. 67 Dollar General Stores Honda powered Dallara officially hit the track late last week for a private test session with a handful of other IndyCar Series teams on July 31, 2008. SRF and Fisher return to competition for just the second time of the 2008 IndyCar Series season following the 2008 Indianapolis 500, where the team made their first start in the IndyCar Series.
"We rolled the Dollar General Honda off the truck down at Kentucky last week and we had a pretty fast racecar," said Fisher. "I was able to hang up the owner hat and be a driver and it was so relieving to be back on the racetrack. Overall our test went extremely well and my engineer was very pleased with the car as was I. We developed a great baseline of consistency in the car from the test which will give us a great starting point on Friday. To be coming back to Kentucky Speedway with our new sponsor, Dollar General, and for it to be our first race back on the circuit, is really special. We have been very busy these past few months with side projects and working on items we didn't have time for during May. We expect to do well at Kentucky and don't think a Top 10 would be out of the question.
SFR debuts at Kentucky Speedway as a team with new sponsor, Dollar General, adorning the yellow and black Dallara along with Arm & Hammer, Band-Aid, Catalyst PDG, Clorox, Colgate, Direct Supply, Hartman Oil, Kraft, Lysol, Reese's and Slim Jim.
* Fisher tested at Kentucky Speedway on July 31 and August 1, 2008, which was Fisher's first return to the racetrack after being taken out of the Indianapolis 500 mile race on Lap 106, placing 30th.
* Sarah Fisher's best start at Kentucky Speedway is first (1st) when she started from the pole in 2002.
* Sarah Fisher's best finish at Kentucky Speedway was third (3rd) in 2000 with Walker Racing (her first podium finish).
* With the Meijer Indy 300, it will be Sarah Fisher's seventh (7th) start at Kentucky Speedway.
* To date, Sarah Fisher still holds the track qualifying record at Kentucky Speedway for a 221.390 mile per hour lap, to become the first woman in open-wheel racing, IndyCar Series racing and Kentucky Speedway history to earn a pole award.
* Sarah Fisher has a career best finish of 2nd at Homestead-Miami Speedway in 2001.
Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR):
* This will be Sarah Fisher Racing's first start at Kentucky Speedway and second start of the 2008 IndyCar Series season. The team will also compete at ChicagoLand Speedway on September 7, 2008.
* SFR qualified 22nd for their first IndyCar Series race, the Indianapolis 500, yet a Lap 106 incident beset the team in the 30th position.
* SFR also has a new engineer, veteran Tom Brown.
* This is Dollar General's first sponsorship in the IndyCar Series.
* Dollar General has over 300 stores in the Kentucky market.