Hornish, Toyota Place Second in Texas Thriller - Sam Hornish Jr. (Marlboro Toyota) was edged at the finish by just .053 seconds to place second in front of an estimated 100,000 fans in the Bombardier Lear Jet 500 at the Texas Motor Speedway ...
Hornish, Toyota Place Second in Texas Thriller
- Sam Hornish Jr. (Marlboro Toyota) was edged at the finish by just .053 seconds to place second in front of an estimated 100,000 fans in the Bombardier Lear Jet 500 at the Texas Motor Speedway Saturday night. Hornish Jr.?s Penske Racing teammate Helio Castroneves placed fifth to give Toyota two cars in the top five tonight.
- With the second-place finish, Hornish Jr. now has three first or second-place showings this season after placing second at Homestead and winning Phoenix.
- Helio Castroneves (Marlboro Toyota) earned his third top-five finish and fourth top-10 finish of the season with a fifth tonight. Castroneves won here at Texas last fall.
- Both Marlboro Team Penske cars took turns at the front of the pack tonight. For Sam Hornish Jr., it marks the fifth race he?s led in six events this season.
- With the second-place finish, Sam Hornish Jr. maintains his third-place standing in the points, while Helio Castroneves is now alone in seventh-place ? just six points out of the fourth position. Hornish Jr. narrowed the gap between himself and second-place Tony Kanaan to only 11 points heading into Richmond.
- Toyota has now finished either first (three times) or second (twice) five times in five trips to here to the Texas Motor Speedway.
- Ryan Briscoe (Target Pioneer Toyota) was the top finishing rookie tonight with a 12th-place finish. Briscoe, a former Toyota F1 test driver, is coming off his best finish of the season after a 10th at Indianapolis.