A.J. Foyt IV: No. 48 Panoz/Toyota/Firestone * A.J. Foyt IV on street racing: "It's going to be real challenging for me because I have never competed in a street race, although I did a little road racing in the Formula Continental Series back...
A.J. Foyt IV: No. 48 Panoz/Toyota/Firestone
* A.J. Foyt IV on street racing: "It's going to be real challenging for me because I have never competed in a street race, although I did a little road racing in the Formula Continental Series back in 2001. In the IRL, about half of the guys I'm racing against have grown up doing road racing, so I'm a little behind starting off. I'll approach the street course in St. Pete like I do any other race track and that's to run where I feel comfortable. As I get more comfortable, I'll get faster. With street or road racing, I know you have to take care of the gearbox because there's a lot of shifting each lap. In St. Pete it'll be as much as 30 shifts per lap. The track will probably be rough so the car will be bouncing a lot under braking and you have to take that into account too. For the race, I'm going to patient, take care of my equipment and try to get through the whole race. From what I've seen of other street races, if you finish the race, you'll have a good finish."
* Foyt IV will be driving a different car this weekend in St. Petersburg. The team has entered the No. 48 Panoz/Toyota for this weekend's event. The car is the same solid Coyote red color that A.J. Foyt became so closely identified with during his Indy car career. The number holds significance for Foyt who is celebrating his 48th anniversary of Indy car racing this year, having begun his career in 1957 at Springfield, Ill. Moreover, this year's Indianapolis 500 will mark Foyt's 48th straight Indy 500 in which he has participated as a driver and/or a team owner.
* Foyt IV finished 14th in the XM Satellite Radio Indy 200 at Phoenix International Raceway on March 19th. He is currently tied for 12th in the IRL IndyCar Series standings.
* The Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg will be broadcast live by ESPN this Sunday, April 3rd at 3:30pm Eastern Time.
* In 2005, Foyt IV's best finish is 9th which is a career best and it came in the season opener at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In 2004, Foyt IV's best start was 6th (at Chicagoland Speedway) and his best finish was 10th at Texas Motor Speedway. He finished 18th in the IndyCar Series standings.
* For more information, please check out www.foytracing.com and www.indycar.com.