A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone * A.J. Foyt IV on Richmond: "We had a pretty good run going there last year in the Conseco car. I made a rookie mistake and even a small mistake at a track like Richmond can cost you big. I...
A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone
* A.J. Foyt IV on Richmond: "We had a pretty good run going there last year in the Conseco car. I made a rookie mistake and even a small mistake at a track like Richmond can cost you big. I want to run like we did last year but stay out of trouble and be there at the end."
* Once again, Larry Foyt will perform as A.J. IV's spotter, this time at Richmond. Foyt had planned to attend the race along with some people from his NASCAR Nextel Cup crew. When Foyt IV heard of those plans, he asked Larry to spot for him. "Larry did a great job for me at Texas," said Foyt IV. "I know he'd rather just watch the race and have fun so I really appreciate him doing this." Larry Foyt's next planned start in his father's Nextel Cup car is the Brickyard 400 at Indy unless sponsorship can be secured before that event.
* At the Bombardier 500k in Texas, Foyt IV was running in the lead pack when Ed Carpenter swung wide going into three to avoid running into the back of his teammate Alex Barron. Unfortunately, Foyt IV was in the outside lane at the time. Foyt IV tried to avoid Carpenter but contact was made and Foyt IV was punted into the wall. He emerged unhurt.
* Last week, Foyt IV participated in the IRL IndyCar Series Open Test session at the Milwaukee Mile at Wisconsin State Fair Park. "Our test went pretty decent considering we only did half a day. I had never been to Milwaukee before. I'm still learning the track. I know there's more time in me as I get more comfortable with the track. I think we got a pretty good baseline with the Conseco car for when we come back at the end of July." The race, named in honor of his grandfather who competed at the one mile oval 98 times in his career (Indy cars, stock cars, sprints and midgets), will be known as the A.J. Foyt Indy 225 at The Milwaukee Mile. Menards is sponsoring the race this year.
* At Richmond last year, Foyt IV ran one of his best races of the season. He started 21st and was running 15th when he spun while trying to lap a slower car on lap 130. He was credited with 21st; however, it was the last time that he crashed in the 2003 season.
* The SunTrust Indy Challenge will be televised live Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. eastern on ESPN2.
* For more information on the Foyt Racing programs, please check out the following Web sites: www.foytracing.com and www.conseco.com.