Castroneves Leads Toyota at Nazareth - Despite Toyota-powered cars leading 143 of the first 144 laps today, a fifth-place finish by Helio Castroneves turned out to be the top finish the manufacturer could muster in today's Firestone Indy 225 at...
Castroneves Leads Toyota at Nazareth
- Despite Toyota-powered cars leading 143 of the first 144 laps today, a fifth-place finish by Helio Castroneves turned out to be the top finish the manufacturer could muster in today's Firestone Indy 225 at the Nazareth Speedway. The race was won by Toyota Atlantic Championship graduate Dan Wheldon.
- Toyota-powered cars led 143 of the first 144 laps today before surrendering the lead for good due to a pit incident on Lap 145.
- Helio Castroneves earned the three bonus points for leading the most laps today in leading 100 of the first 101 laps before handing over the top spot to Marlboro Team Penske teammate Sam Hornish Jr. on Lap 102.
- Sam Hornish, Jr. (Marlboro Toyota) led 43 laps today before a pit incident while leading the race on Lap 145 dropped him well back in the field. It was the second consecutive race that Hornish has led more than 40 laps after leading for 67 circuits at Pikes Peak. Hornishhrecovered from the incident, as well as an accompanying drive-through penalty, to register an 11t -place.
- Helio Castroneves' (Marlboro Toyota) fifth-place finish marks his fifth top-five finish of the season, but his first since placing third at Nashville. He also has 10 top-10 finishes this season.
- With a sixth-place finish today, Darren Manning (Target Toyota) now has a total of seven top-10 finishes in his debut season in the IndyCar ranks.
- Three Toyota-powered drivers continue to rank in the top 10 in points. Helio Castroneves (Marlboro Toyota) remains in fourth-place as the highest Toyota. His Marlboro Team Penske teammate Sam Hornish Jr. maintained his sixth-place standing, while Darren Manning moved up to ninth.
- Scott Sharp (Delphi Toyota) competed in his 95th IndyCar Series race and his 87th consecutive event both IndyCar Series records.
Next Race: Delphi Indy 300, Chicagoland Speedway, Sept.12, 1:30 p.m., ET, ABC