Fernandez Looking to Continue Streak at Firestone Indy 225 The IRL IndyCarÂ® Series travels to Nazareth, Pennsylvania, this weekend for the third of three back-to-back races and the final short-oval event on the 2004 schedule. Adrian Fernandez...
Fernandez Looking to Continue Streak at Firestone Indy 225
The IRL IndyCar® Series travels to Nazareth, Pennsylvania, this weekend for the third of three back-to-back races and the final short-oval event on the 2004 schedule. Adrian Fernandez and Fernandez Racing head into the Firestone Indy 225 at Nazareth Speedway fresh off their best performances to date in IndyCar Series competition with Fernandez capturing his first win two weeks ago in Kentucky, and a second-place finish at Pikes Peak International Raceway this past Sunday.
The one-mile Nazareth oval is familiar territory for Fernandez, who has eight career starts on the challenging circuit. Fernandez has five oval victories to his credit but none on a one-mile oval, and will be chasing his elusive first short-oval win on Sunday.
* Will be making his ninth career start at Nazareth Speedway and his 12th IRL IndyCar Series start
* Last competed at Nazareth in 2001
* Best finish to date at Nazareth was fifth in 1999 and 2000
* Best starting position at Nazareth was sixth in 2001
* Claimed his first career IndyCar Series victory at Kentucky Speedway two weeks ago
* Finished second at Pikes Peak last weekend
* Has finished eighth or better in seven of 11 IndyCar Series starts
* Best IndyCar Series starting position to date was fourth at Kentucky Speedway
* Currently sits seventh in the championship point standings
Adrian Fernandez, #5 Quaker State/Telmex/Tecate Panoz G Force/Honda/Firestone:
"I have raced many times at Nazareth Speedway. It is a track that I know very well, and I enjoy racing there. It is a tough oval, and you need a good car to perform well. I think we will be strong there. We have a lot of momentum right now from the past two races, and I am very proud of the team and the job that they are doing. I think we are looking good for a strong finish to our first season [in IndyCar Series competition] and, if we can keep up our pace, a good result in the championship standings."
FAST FACTS: Enters his 12th season of major open-wheel competition-- is the only competing owner/driver in the IndyCar Series field and the only Mexican driver to compete on a full-time basis in the IndyCar Series-- five of his nine major open-wheel wins have been on ovals (Kentucky 2004, Rio 2000, Fontana 1999, Japan 1998/1999)-- has made 75 career oval starts to date, claiming 39 top-10 finishes (52%)-- 41 years old from Mexico City-- currently resides in Paradise Valley, Arizona.