A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone * A.J. Foyt IV on Nazareth: "Last year when I came to Nazareth for the race, it was the first time I ever saw the track so it took us some time to get everything figured out. We ran ...
A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone
* A.J. Foyt IV on Nazareth: "Last year when I came to Nazareth for the race, it was the first time I ever saw the track so it took us some time to get everything figured out. We ran decent in the race so we can go back with a similar set-up for the Conseco car. We'll just try to be consistent, run all day and get a good finish."
* Time Off: A.J. IV took a busman's holiday on Monday to test the Davey Hamilton-owned No. 1 Wirtgen/Weld Racing supermodified. Hamilton warmed up the car before Foyt IV took his first laps ever in that type of open wheel car around Madera (Calif.) Speedway, a one-third mile paved oval. He got to within 0.15 of a second of quick time (on old tires) within 50 laps, reaching a top speed of 110 mph. Foyt IV is planning to compete in the 33rd Annual Harvest Classic on September 18th. "It was a lot of fun," Foyt IV said afterwards. "Those cars have a lot of horsepower, especially for such a small track. Everything happened real fast at first, but then as I became used to the car and the track, things slowed down for me even as I went faster. I'm looking forward to racing there."
* Kick-off: A.J. IV will kick-off his personal tour of college football games on Labor Day when he attends the Florida State University/University of Miami game at Miami. ABC racing analyst Jack Arute will be working as a sidelines reporter for the match between the FSU Seminoles and the Miami Hurricanes. The game, which airs on ABC that Monday evening, culminates ABC's first weekend of coverage of college football. Last year Foyt IV, an avid football fan, attended the Univ. of Michigan/Notre Dame game as Arute's guest.
* At the Honda Indy 225: A.J. IV started 21st and finished 21st due to handling problems. He completed 53 laps. "The best thing we can do is leave last weekend behind us," Foyt IV said. Several other teams also called it quits early due to handling problems with their cars.
* A.J. IV's past performance at Nazareth: Foyt IV started 17th and placed 11th for his best finish of the season.
* Foyt Racing past performance at Nazareth: In 2002, Airton Dare started 17th and finished 11th. That same race, Richie Hearn subbed for injured driver Eliseo Salazar; Hearn started 22nd and finished 14th. A.J. Foyt's best finish at the paved speedway came in 1987 when he finished seventh.
* The Firestone Indy 225 will be televised live Sunday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. Eastern time on ABC.
* For more information on Foyt Racing or team sponsor Conseco, please check out these respective web sites: www.foytracing.com and www.conseco.com.