Darren Manning: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda * Darren Manning on racing at Nashville: "It's an interesting track with it being concrete instead of asphalt which we usually race on. The concrete surface makes it a little more ...
Darren Manning: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda
* Darren Manning on racing at Nashville: "It's an interesting track with it being concrete instead of asphalt which we usually race on. The concrete surface makes it a little more challenging to set up the car. It's more like a flat short track in that it takes more handling than a normal superspeedway. We're getting a better handle on what I want from the car so hopefully that will make this weekend go smoothly."
* Watkins Glen performance: Manning was running in the top ten for nearly the entire race and was poised for a strong finish but a bruised rib sustained before the race weekend proved to be more wearing than he anticipated. Manning was unsure how his rib became bruised but surmised it happened while sleeping. He had to use his oval track seat (which provides less support for the Glen's fast right turns) instead of his road course seat -- it had created too much pressure on his tender spot. Manning downplayed the pain but it took its toll on the talented Brit who dropped from seventh to tenth after the last pitstop. He eventually finished ninth.
* Foyt's USAC Silver Crown team will be competing this Friday (the 13th!) at Chicagoland Speedway where the series joins the NASCAR Nextel Cup and Busch Series. J.J. Yeley, who will be competing in the NASCAR events there, will also drive the No. 14 Greer Special/ABC Supply Chevy for the second time this season. The No. 14 is currently third in the points with drivers Tracy Hines and Bobby East snaring two wins. Yeley was leading in his first drive for Foyt at Darlington when he scraped the wall ending his race. Pablo Donoso, of Santiago, Chile, will be in the No.11 ABC Supply Chevy. The No.11 is eighth in the points but Donoso is sixth in the driver standings.
* Fleming Roofing of Kennesaw, GA is this weekend's winner of the ABC Supply Your Name Here Promotion for its customers. The company name will be put on the top of the sidepods of the No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda. Sean and Erica Fleming will receive selected merchandise, race tickets, hospitality and garage passes, plus a Meet and Greet with A.J. Foyt and Darren Manning. The "Your Name Here" promotion selected winners by random drawing from a pool of entries sent in by ABC Supply customers earlier this year.
* Past performances at Nashville: The Foyt team's best start and finish at Nashville is 10th with Donnie Beechler in 2001. The Foyt team had a particularly tough year in 2002 when all three of its cars--driven by Airton Dare, Greg Ray and Eliseo Salazar--were eliminated due to accidents. Driving for Chip Ganassi, Manning has had mixed results. He finished fourth in 2004 but was eliminated in 2005 in an accident with Tony Kanaan who was trying to put a lap on Manning just after halfway. He placed 20th after starting ninth.