Notes & Quotes: IRL Japan Indy 300 A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone * A.J. Foyt IV on Japan: "I like Twin Ring Motegi because it is a superspeedway, so it's fast, but it also has its challenges like turns three and four...
Notes & Quotes: IRL Japan Indy 300
A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone
* A.J. Foyt IV on Japan: "I like Twin Ring Motegi because it is a superspeedway, so it's fast, but it also has its challenges like turns three and four where you have to get out of the gas and downshift. My main goal is to win the race and if we can't do that, then we'll finish as good as we can and get as many points as we can. "My first impression of Japan was a good one. I liked the country. The fans were real nice and very polite. They did something that no one's done before, at least in my career. They gave me some neat gifts when I gave them an autograph. That was pretty cool. They also had some really cool electronic stuff, it was more high-tech than what we have. The only problem I had was figuring out what kind of food to eat."
* Foyt IV was among the 12 drivers who tested at Indianapolis Motor Speedway April 3rd. "Our Indy test went pretty good. We flew in that morning from Houston so we didn't start running till the middle of the day and the wind started picking up then. We had some gearbox problems that we had to get sorted out. We ran over 200 miles and the speeds were consistent. Overall, we were satisfied. It was a good start."
* A.J. IV will be arriving in Japan a day early to meet Japanese dignitaries including the Governor of Ibaraki prefecture and the Mayor of Utsonomiya which is the city where Team Conseco is staying. omesteH
* In last year's Japan Indy 300, Foyt IV was running his best race yet when a rookie mistake put him out of the race. He was rejoining the race after completing a green flag pit stop when the combination of cold tires and full fuel tanks cost him dearly. Foyt IV explained, "I went out on cold tires and full tanks and it just pushed real bad in turn 3 and I got in the marbles. I almost had it saved but then it hooked right at the end and I spun and hit the wall coming off four." Foyt IV sustained an abrasion to his knee and a cut thumb but was otherwise uninjured.
* The Japan Indy 300 will be shown live at 11:30 PM Friday night, April 16th on ESPN 2.
* For more information on the Foyt Racing programs, please check out the following Web sites: foytracing.com and conseco.com.