Sharp Encouraged for Strong Run in Michigan The IndyCar Series returns to superspeedway action this week with the Firestone Indy 400 at Michigan International Speedway. Scott Sharp will be making his fourth career start on the fast two-mile ...
Sharp Encouraged for Strong Run in Michigan
The IndyCar Series returns to superspeedway action this week with the Firestone Indy 400 at Michigan International Speedway. Scott Sharp will be making his fourth career start on the fast two-mile D-shaped oval. He has claimed top-10 results in three previous starts on the Brooklyn circuit, posting his best finish of fourth in 2003.
With Delphi headquartered in Troy and a Futaba corporate office located in nearby Plymouth, Sharp will be seeking a "home track" win this weekend.
* Will be making his fourth IndyCar Series start at Michigan
* Has claimed three top-10 results at Michigan with a best finish of fourth in 2003
* Posted best starting position of 10th at Michigan in 2003
* Has recorded four top-five finishes to date this season, and six top-seven finishes
* Currently sits sixth in the championship standings
* Best qualifying effort to date this season was third at Japan and Indianapolis
* Will be making his 109th IndyCar Series start and record 101st consecutive start
Scott Sharp, #8 Delphi Panoz/Honda/Firestone:
"I'm really excited for the race in Michigan. It is a historic track that has seen some legendary races. With the level of competition so high in the IndyCar Series right now, I think we are all going to be in store for a record race! The Delphi team has been working very hard; these guys never give up trying to give us a faster car. I expect that work to pay off and for us to be in a very competitive position."
SCOTT SHARP FAST FACTS: Is in his 10th season of IndyCar Series competition, and is the only driver to have contested every season of IndyCar Series competition since the inception of the IRL 10 years ago-- career record includes eight wins, five pole positions and 31 top-five finishes-- was the 1996 IndyCar Series co-champion and the 2001 Indianapolis 500 MBNA Pole winner-- is a former two-time SCCA Trans-Am Champion and three-time SCCA National Champion-- 37 years old from Norwalk, Connecticut-- currently resides in Jupiter, Florida.