For Immediate Release INDIANAPOLIS, February 7,1997 -- Indy Racing League Executive Director Leo Mehl has been designated as a recipient of the Automotive Hall of Fame's 1997 Distinguished Service Citation. The Automotive Hall of Fame is ...
For Immediate Release
INDIANAPOLIS, February 7,1997 -- Indy Racing League Executive Director Leo Mehl has been designated as a recipient of the Automotive Hall of Fame's 1997 Distinguished Service Citation. The Automotive Hall of Fame is located in Dearborn, Michigan and includes recognition of all disciplines of the automotive industry worldwide.
Mehl, retired general manager of Worldwide Racing at Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, was one of six recipients of the award. He was honored at the Automotive Hall of Fame and Popular Mechanics Annual Awards Luncheon on Saturday, February 2, 1997 at the Westin Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta during the National Automobile Dealers Association annual convention.
The Distinguished Service Citation recognizes men and women who have made significant contributions to the automotive industry, through either sustained superior performance or a specific important achievement. During Leo Mehl's twenty-five years at Goodyear he guided all aspects of the racing tire program including sales, marketing, public relations, advertising, race tire development and production.
While at Goodyear Mehl was also involved in many important racing developments including radial racing tires in stock car and open-wheel racing during the 1980's and crash- worthy fuel systems that dramatically reduced fires after impact. Mehl retired from Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in 1995 and was appointed at the executive director of the Indy Racing League by IRL founder Tony George in December 1996.
The Automotive Hall of Fame was founded in 1939 and recognizes individual contributions to the international automotive industry. In September, 1996, ground was broken to build a new Hall of Fame building next to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. The building is scheduled to open in August, 1997.