Matsuura Sets Sights on Top Five Result in Kansas Kosuke Matsuura returns to one of his favorite circuits on the IndyCar Series tour this weekend as Kansas Speedway hosts Round Eight of competition -- the Argent Mortgage Indy 300. Located 15 ...
Matsuura Sets Sights on Top Five Result in Kansas
Kosuke Matsuura returns to one of his favorite circuits on the IndyCar Series tour this weekend as Kansas Speedway hosts Round Eight of competition -- the Argent Mortgage Indy 300. Located 15 miles west of downtown Kansas City, Kansas, the 1.5-mile tri-oval has produced some of the closest finishes in IndyCar Series competition.
Matsuura qualified eighth in his Kansas debut last season. He ran as high as sixth during the race, but was collected in an incident 28 laps from the end. A week ago, Matsuura survived an action-packed race at Richmond to claim his second consecutive top-10 finish, and fourth of the season. Claiming his career-best results to date on the 1.5-mile ovals, Matsuura has his sights set on a top-five result this Sunday.
* Will be preparing for his second start at Kansas and 24th IndyCar Series career start
* Started 8th at Kansas last year and finished 18th due to contact
* Has made nine career 1.5-mile oval starts
* Recorded his career-best result to date of fourth on the 1.5-mile oval at Kentucky
* Career-best 1.5-mile oval start was fourth at Japan and Texas last year
* Recorded his best finish to date this season of seventh in Texas on June 11
* Claimed best starting position to date this season of seventh in St. Petersburg
* Currently sits 12th in the championship standings, only 12 points out of the top 10
Kosuke Matsuura, #55 Panasonic ARTA Panoz/Honda/Firestone:
"I really enjoyed racing at Kansas last year and, since the start of the season, have been looking forward to this weekend. Kansas is my favorite track. I was not able to finish the race last year because I was caught up when two other cars made contact, but we qualified eighth and ran as high as sixth. We have finished in the top 10 the past two races, and I am looking for a top-five result this weekend. I think we will be very strong here."
KOSUKE MATSUURA FAST FACTS: Is in his second season of IndyCar Series competition-- earned 2004 Bombardier Rookie of the Year honors-- named 2004 Bank One Rookie of the Year at the Indianapolis 500-- recorded his IndyCar Series career-best finish of fourth at Kentucky Speedway last season, and claimed his career-best starting position of second at Michigan-- 25 years old from Aichi, Japan-- finished third in the 2003 Formula Renault V6 Eurocup Championship with three wins and eight podiums-- finished second in German F3 competition in 2002 with two wins and six pole positions-- won the 2000 Japanese Formula Dream Championship with six wins and eight pole positions-- currently resides in Indianapolis, Indiana.