Fernandez Primed for Kansas Debut Adrian Fernandez is hoping to create a few fireworks of his own as the IRL IndyCarÂ® Series heads to Kansas Speedway for the Argent Mortgage Kansas Indy 300 on July 4. Fernandez will be making his first ...
Fernandez Primed for Kansas Debut
Adrian Fernandez is hoping to create a few fireworks of his own as the IRL IndyCar® Series heads to Kansas Speedway for the Argent Mortgage Kansas Indy 300 on July 4. Fernandez will be making his first appearance as a driver on the 1.5-mile tri-oval, which is located 15 miles west of downtown Kansas City. Last year Fernandez attended the race wearing his team owner hat, in support of Fernandez Racing's sister team, Super Aguri Fernandez Racing.
Fernandez, who will be making his sixth career IndyCar Series start this weekend, has finished seventh or better in the past three races. He claimed his career-best IRL finish to date of fifth on the 1.5-mile Texas Motor Speedway oval three weeks ago.
* Will be making his first appearance at Kansas Speedway and his sixth IRL IndyCar Series career start
* Posted his best IndyCar Series results-to-date in the last three events with a seventh-place finish at Richmond, a fifth-place run at Texas and a seventh-place finish in the Indianapolis 500
* Best IndyCar Series starting position to date was sixth at the Indianapolis 500
* Has made 69 career oval starts to date, claiming 34 top-10 finishes (49%)
* Has two career wins on 1.5-mile oval circuits, winning at Motegi, Japan in 1998 and 1999
* Currently sits 15th in the championship standings, only 23 points out of the top 10 despite missing the season-opening race in Florida
Adrian Fernandez, #5 Quaker State/Telmex/Tecate Panoz G
"I have never been to the Kansas Speedway track as a driver, but I was there supporting the team last year. It seems like a nice track, and I am looking forward to running there. We have had three good finishes in the last three races, and hopefully we can keep the momentum up this weekend. We just need a little luck on our side and we will be able to get to the podium."
FAST FACTS: Enters his 12th season of major open-wheel competition-- is the only Mexican driver to compete on a full-time basis in the IndyCar Series-- has 68 career oval starts to his credit, posting 33 top-10 finishes and eight podiums-- four of his eight major open-wheel wins have been on ovals (Rio 2000, Fontana 1999, Japan 1998/1999)-- last victory was in June of 2003 at Portland -- his first as an owner/driver-- 41 years old from Mexico City-- currently resides in Paradise Valley, Arizona.