Felipe Giaffone: ABC Supply No. 14 Dallara/Honda/Firestone * A.J. Foyt underwent successful knee replacement surgery on his left knee on Monday in Houston. He started therapy that afternoon. "It was really painful, worse than I expected,"...
Felipe Giaffone: ABC Supply No. 14 Dallara/Honda/Firestone
* A.J. Foyt underwent successful knee replacement surgery on his left knee on Monday in Houston. He started therapy that afternoon. "It was really painful, worse than I expected," said Foyt. "I'm not sure I would have done it if I had known it would be this bad." His doctors told him that his surgery was complicated because of the injuries he sustained at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI in 1990. Foyt will not be at Kansas Speedway this weekend. He expects to be released on Friday.
* Team manager Craig Baranouski will direct the team in A.J. Foyt's absence. Baranouski assumed that role in September last year when Foyt missed the race at Watkins Glen, NY because of Hurricane Rita threatening his Houston homestead. Foyt's son Larry will also be on hand to assist Baranouski. The ABC Supply Racing team traveled from Richmond, Va. to Foyt's NASCAR shop in Mooresville, N.C. where they are preparing the No. 14 Indy car this week. They'll return to Texas following this weekend's race.
* Giaffone on Kansas Speedway: "Kansas Speedway is a 1.5 mile that in configuration is between the tracks at Homestead-Miami and Texas. It's banked more than Miami but not as much as Texas. I think it is a fun track to race on even though I got injured there in 2003. I think the ABC Supply car should work very well there. You do have to work with the car a little bit during the race but I've run well there in the past and so has A.J.'s team. I'd love to bring home a good finish for him--maybe he would recover even faster from his knee surgery."
* Best Finishes at Kansas: To date, Giaffone's best finish at Kansas is fourth (2001 and 2002). In 2003 he had the worst accident of his Indy car career. Starting fifth, he was racing in the top five when he and Dan Wheldon crashed entering turn one. Giaffone's car hit the wall sending the right front tire back into the cockpit. He sustained a broken right femur and hip and missed five races. A.J. Foyt Racing's best finish at Kansas was their victory in 2002 with Airton Dare. Earlier that day, A.J. Foyt IV won the inaugural Infiniti Pro Series race there.
* ABC Supply customers Peggy and Greg Rinehart have won the 'Your Name Here' contest for the Kansas Lottery Indy 300. Their company name Front Range Roofing will be on the top of the sidepods of the No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda. The Rineharts will receive selected merchandise, race tickets, hospitality and garage passes, plus a Meet and Greet with Felipe Giaffone. The "Your Name Here" promotion selected winners by random drawing from a pool of entries sent in by ABC Supply customers earlier this year.
* In seven starts this season, Giaffone has posted three top-10 finishes with a best finish of fifth at Watkins Glen, NY in June. He is currently 14th in the driver standings.
* The Kansas Lottery Indy 300 will be shown live at 1:00 p.m. eastern time Sunday, July 2 on ABC-TV.