A Heritage Homecoming: * After 4 decades of racing, this is the first time Heritage Motorsports co-owner, John Mecom, Jr. of Houston, will watch one of his race teams compete professionally in his home state. * "I've experienced...
A Heritage Homecoming:
* After 4 decades of racing, this is the first time Heritage Motorsports co-owner, John Mecom, Jr. of Houston, will watch one of his race teams compete professionally in his home state.
* "I've experienced the thrill of racing all over the world, but the closest I came to racing at home was about 800 miles. My teams participated in SCCA events and things like that, but nothing professional. It's nice to be coming home to race."
* "Just the fact alone that we're racing in Texas shows how much the sport has grown. The Texas Motor Speedway is a wonderful facility, capable of hosting all major racing events. There are a lot of reasons why I'm thrilled to be competing in Texas, most important, it's home."
Jeff on Texas:
* "The team is looking for their first win in Dallas, and I think we have a great shot at it. This team knows how to build fast racecars. They've proven that all season. The goal is to start with our first win in Dallas and then go after the points championship."
* "I'm really looking forward to getting in the car in Dallas. When you're not consistently racing for a month, it can take a driver a day and a half to get back in tune with the car. I feel like I just climbed out of the car from Indy, and I'm ready to get right up to speed in Dallas. I'm looking forward to some great racing."
Auction with Aerosmith:
* Ward donated his driving suit, his helmet and time at a charity auction with Aerosmith to benefit Victory Programs, Inc., treatment programs for people recovering from alcohol and drug addiction. The band hosted the auction on May 31 in Boston at the Park Plaza Hotel.
* "The guys from Aerosmith are great. I was able to spend time with the band after Indy at a charity auction they hosted in Boston. I donated my driving suit, which went for $6,000, but Steven Tyler kept outbidding everyone for it. I think he worked out a deal with the second highest bidder."
* "Aerosmith has a history with Victory Programs, Inc. The band and the organization are from Boston, and the band has given a lot of time and money to Victory Programs. At this auction, Joey (Kramer, drummer for Aerosmith) donated his drum set from a past tour."
* John Mecom, III, a native of Houston, has followed in his legendary father's footsteps with the formation of Heritage Motorsports. Mecom, III was first exposed to the racing scene by his father, who owned the Mecom Racing Team in the 60's.
* "I couldn't ask for a better mentor or partner than my dad. He has driven himself and everyone around him to perform at a higher level than his competition. His expectations in racing have remained constant for the past 40 years."
* "I'm very proud of my Texas roots. I'm looking forward to showing my fellow Texans what this team can do. I expect nothing less than a victory."
* "Heritage Motorsports is completely focused on the race in Texas. We get stronger every race, which is becoming more and more evident. After fighting through our first set back in Indy, we came back not only to finish the race but we also continued turning consistently fast laps."