Darren Manning: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda/Firestone * Manning on Iowa Speedway: "I've never been to Iowa and I never knew where it was until now. I've heard that Iowa Speedway is a real nice track and that it's like Richmond with nicer ...
Darren Manning: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda/Firestone
* Manning on Iowa Speedway: "I've never been to Iowa and I never knew where it was until now. I've heard that Iowa Speedway is a real nice track and that it's like Richmond with nicer banking. By that I mean the transitions off the banking to the flats are better. Richmond is a bit tight coming off of turn 2. The overall feeling is that the racing will be quite good at Iowa."
* A.J. Foyt will serve as grand marshal of the event in honor of his 50th anniversary in Indy car racing. Foyt never raced an Indy car in Iowa but he did race a stock car at Knoxville Raceway in Iowa in 1969. He drove Jack Bowsher's car, winning the pole and finishing second in the 100 lap USAC event on the half-mile dirt oval.
* Manning on his approach this weekend: "Normally when I go to a new track, I go around in a regular car to get a feel for the track. We're fortunate to have an Open Test for half a day before the weekend. Usually it's tough going to a new track because you're limited on your tire allocation so you don't want to waste your tires pounding around lap after lap. But everyone will get some extra sets of tires for Friday. The open test will allow us to get a baseline set-up on the car which we can then fine-tune for qualifying and the race."
* Manning on adding new tracks to the IndyCar schedule: "I like to see new tracks added--it makes for a more level playing field because no team has a lot of data on the track. Many of the teams we're competing against have worked together for years so they have the advantage on us now. However, when we go to a new track like Iowa, their advantage is diminished a bit so it plays into our hands. I know how much of an advantage it will be for us when we come back to all of these tracks next year because we'll have a good starting point."
* Manning took last weekend off...After testing last Wednesday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (where he ran in the top 7 to 10 in the open test), Manning headed to Las Vegas with fellow IndyCar driver Buddy Rice for a long weekend. The two drivers did a little gambling ("Buddy taught me a few tricks so it wasn't too painful.") and took the opportunity to relax on their first weekend off since leaving for Japan in mid-April. Team owner A.J. Foyt headed west to his ranch in Del Rio where he relaxed by getting on his tractor and mowing acres of grass fields.
* ATB Construction Company of Port Byron, IL is this weekend's winner of the ABC Supply Your Name Here Promotion for its customers. The company name will be put on the top of the sidepods of the No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda. Marty Hurry and Bev Wiley will receive selected merchandise, race tickets, hospitality and garage passes, plus a Meet and Greet and photo op with A.J. Foyt and Darren Manning. The "Your Name Here" promotion selected winners by random drawing from a pool of entries sent in by ABC Supply customers earlier this year.