Toyota 1-2 For Second Straight Day At Indy - For the second consecutive day, Toyota-powered cars topped the time charts at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in practice for the 88th running of the Indianapolis 500. Swapping the top two spots ...
Toyota 1-2 For Second Straight Day At Indy
- For the second consecutive day, Toyota-powered cars topped the time charts at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in practice for the 88th running of the Indianapolis 500. Swapping the top two spots from yesterday, Helio Castroneves (Marlboro Toyota) and Scott Dixon (Target Toyota) placed first and second with Castroneves becoming the first driver this month to exceed the 220 mph mark.
- It was only fitting for Castroneves to take the top spot in today's practice as the two-time Indianapolis 500 winner celebrated his 29th birthday. His celebration plans include a quiet dinner with family.
- After registering the fastest time yesterday, Scott Dixon spent the majority of the day in the top spot and was just minutes away from making it consecutive days on top before Helio Castroneves logged the fastest time of the in the waning minutes. Dixon, the defending IndyCar Series champion, opted not to put new tires on and run in the last half hour.
- After spending yesterday in sick bay with the flu, two-time IndyCar Series champion Sam Hornish (Marlboro Toyota) registered the fourth-fastest time of the day to give Toyota three of the top four.
- After extensive long runs on Sunday, Scott Sharp (Delphi Toyota) turned in another strong performance to rank ninth on the day, giving Toyota five of the top nine for the day.
- Despite losing valuable track time to the four-hour rain delay, Larry Foyt registered his first official practice laps at the Speedway today with a total of 12. Larry's presence makes three generations of Foyt's involved in the team's efforts this year with father, A.J., running the A.J. Foyt Enterprises team and nephew A.J. Foyt IV serving as Larry's teammate.
Helio Castroneves, "#3 Marlboro Toyota: "Everything's going good - the Toyota engine is running well, but it's still early. We just need to maintain our patience and focus. The track changed at least a mile and a half slower after the rain. (On his late laps) I didn't want to go out with a lot of drivers. I wanted to get a clean lap. We got a little bit of tow from Sarah (Fisher) coming off Turn Four to start the lap, but most of the lap was by ourselves."
Toyota Drivers Indy Day 2
1. #3 Helio Castroneves
2. #1 Scott Dixon
4. #6 Sam Hornish Jr.
9. #8 Scott Sharp
12. #10 Darren Manning
22. #6T Sam Hornish Jr.
23 #12T Tora Takagi
26. #14 A.J. Foyt IV
27. #39 Sarah Fisher
28. #41 Larry Foyt
29. #25 Marty Roth
30. #12 Tora Takagi
Practice continues Tuesday, May 11 at 12 noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT