GOODYEAR FAST FACTS FOR THE VISIONAIRE 500 LOWE'S MOTOR SPEEDWAY -- 1.5-MILE OVAL HARRISBURG, N.C., MAY 1, 1999 NUMBER OF TIRES REQUIRED: PRIMARY FRONT PRIMARY REAR 330 360 OPTIONAL FRONT OPTIONAL REAR 330 ...
GOODYEAR FAST FACTS FOR THE VISIONAIRE 500 LOWE'S MOTOR SPEEDWAY -- 1.5-MILE OVAL HARRISBURG, N.C., MAY 1, 1999
NUMBER OF TIRES REQUIRED: PRIMARY FRONT PRIMARY REAR
OPTIONAL FRONT OPTIONAL REAR
RECOMMENDED COLD PRESSURE: Left front and rear 28 psi
Right front and rear 38 psi
DESCRIPTION: Goodyear Eagle IRL Racing Radial
Front: 25.0 x 10.0-15 inch Rear: 27.0 x 14.0-15 inch
ESTIMATED PIT STOPS: Approximately every 40 laps, based on fuel capacity. Race length is 500 kilometers (312 miles)/208 laps.
NOTES AND QUOTES:
• The VisionAire 500 is the first superspeedway event of the 1999 Pep Boys Indy Racing League season. It is also the first of three night races on the schedule this year.
• Goodyear opened the 1999 Pep Boys Indy Racing League on a winning note as Eddie Cheever Jr. led a Goodyear 1-2-3-4 finish at Walt Disney World Speedway in Orlando, Fla., in January. In March, Scott Goodyear claimed his first IRL victory, winning at Phoenix International Raceway, also on Goodyear Eagle Radials. In both races, Goodyear-equipped teams led the most laps, set the fastest race lap and carried the majority of the top-10 finishers.
• Goodyear-equipped drivers hold the top six positions in the Pep Boys Indy Racing League standings. Scott Goodyear leads the championship with 93 points, followed by Ward (75), Cheever Jr. (63), Orlando polesitter Scott Sharp (61), Mark Dismore (58) and Billy Boat (54).
• Goodyear conducted a one-day test at Lowe's Motor Speedway in early April to develop the tire choices for this weekend's competition.
• "Goodyear is looking to extend its winning streak in the Indy Racing League night races," says Paul Lauritzen, Goodyear's operations manager for the IRL. "Goodyear-equipped teams won all three night races in 1998.
"Moving the Charlotte event from July to before Indianapolis will give the IRL teams an important opportunity to race in superspeedway before heading to Indianapolis. Additionally, the cooler temperatures will help the engines produce more horsepower, allow the cars to generate more downforce and the Goodyear tires to develop more grip on the high banks, all of which should make for some exciting racing this weekend. The information Goodyear receives from our teams will enable us to refine our tire selection for the similar tracks at Texas and Atlanta," Lauritzen adds.
One Year Ago: Kenny Brack scored the first win of his IRL career when he passed Jeff Ward with 12 laps remaining in the event. Brack, driving the Goodyear-equipped entry from A.J. Foyt, led 76 laps during the night and set the fastest lap of the race. Scott Goodyear finished third, giving Goodyear Racing Eagles a 1-2-3 sweep of the podium.