A.J. Foyt IV: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone * A.J. Foyt IV on California Speedway: "California is a big, wide track that has some banking but not as much as Texas. The key will be to get the ABC Supply car handling in traffic...
A.J. Foyt IV: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone
* A.J. Foyt IV on California Speedway: "California is a big, wide track that has some banking but not as much as Texas. The key will be to get the ABC Supply car handling in traffic so we'll need to work on our race set-up as much as possible. Qualifying isn't that big of a deal at California because in the race there's a lot of drafting so everyone gets packed up, but you do need to stay in the lead pack. Getting our car to work in the draft will be our focus."
* On his last ride in the No. 14 Indy car: "It'll be bittersweet. I'm going to miss the excitement of open wheel racing in the IRL but I'm also looking forward to doing some other stuff."
* Foyt IV Released: Foyt IV was released from his contract with A.J. Foyt Enterprises. "Anthony wants to try his hand at NASCAR," said family patriarch and Indy car team owner A.J. Foyt. "He's learned a lot since we began working together in 2002 but now it's time for him to learn from someone else... I admit I'm a little nervous about trusting him to the world because he is young. At the same time, I think we both realize it's time for him to spread his wings."
* Foyt IV Flies the Nest: "I will always appreciate the chance my grandfather has given me," said Foyt IV. "I've learned tons working with him and his team, especially how you have to keep working together to make progress. My grandfather has shown a lot of faith in me by allowing me to drive his cars and by sticking by me when times got rough... Now I have an opportunity to try something different which I'm excited about and I hope works out well."
* Foyt IV Joins Akins Motorsports: A.J. IV announced that he has signed with Akins Motorsports to drive the No. 38 Great Clips Dodge in the NASCAR Busch Series starting the weekend of October 22nd at Memphis Motorsports Park. Slated to run the final four races this year, Foyt will drive the No. 38 car on the entire Busch circuit next year.
* Past Performance at California Speedway: In 2004, Foyt IV posted his second best start of his career (7th). He dropped to the back in the beginning stages of the race because of a lack of downforce. Adjustments were made on the first pitstop and towards the end of the race, he was running 11th when another competitor pushed him high on a restart and Foyt IV scraped the wall in turn one, ending his day. He placed 19th.
* At Watkins Glen International three weeks ago, Jeff Bucknum subbed for A.J. Foyt IV once again. Bucknum qualified 19th and finished 11th in his fourth IndyCar start and second one for Foyt's ABC Supply team.
* The Toyota Indy 400 will be televised live Sunday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time on ESPN.