Today's IndyCar Series and Firestone Indy Lights headlines 1. Drivers set to relax during off weekend 2. Patrick among stars supporting ‘Stand Up For Cancer' 3. Manning to contest two rounds in Le Mans Series 1. Drivers set to relax ...
Today's IndyCar Series and Firestone Indy Lights headlines
1. Drivers set to relax during off weekend
2. Patrick among stars supporting ‘Stand Up For Cancer'
3. Manning to contest two rounds in Le Mans Series
1. Drivers set to relax during off weekend: After racing on six consecutive weekends, IndyCar Series drivers and teams will enjoy an off weekend Aug. 2-3 before gearing up for the final four races of the season, including three consecutive races to end the season.
"I'll sleep probably and spend some time with the girlfriend," said Darren Manning, driver of the No. 14 ABC Supply Co./AJ Foyt Racing entry who recorded four consecutive top-10 finishes to wrap up the six-race stretch. "It's been pretty hard on her. I don't really like her coming to every race, because I like to concentrate 100 percent on my driving rather than worry about what they're doing, and she understands that. It will be nice to spend a bit of time with her and just have time myself."
Series points leader Scott Dixon, who outscored all drivers over the past six races, was off to England.
"I'm off to London to see the in-laws," Dixon said. "We have a wedding to go to over there. Actually, the next two weeks are busier than the last couple weeks at home."
2. Patrick among stars supporting 'Stand Up For Cancer': Danica Patrick will join Jennifer Aniston, America Ferrera, Meryl Streep, Lance Armstrong, Scarlett Johansson and other celebrities who are taking a stand against cancer during a one-hour special to be aired on ABC, CBS and NBC at 8 p.m. (ET) Sept. 5.
"Stand Up to Cancer" has attracted A-list names to participate in the broadcast.
The effort began when a handful of members of the Entertainment Industry Foundation, which addresses various health issues but emphasizes cancer research and prevention, and the Noreen Fraser Foundation, which works to raise awareness about women's cancers, each discussed raising funds via a television broadcast.
Patrick, who will be in Los Angeles this weekend, will tape a segment with Jimmy Kimmel Aug. 4 that will air later in the week.
3. Manning to contest two rounds in Le Mans Series: Darren Manning, who competed with Embassy Racing in three rounds of the Le Mans Series last year, will rejoin the team to co-drive the LMP2 WF01 for races at Nurburgring in August and Silverstone in September.
The 2008 IndyCar Series season continues with the Meijer Indy 300 Aug. 9 at Kentucky Speedway. The race will be telecast live in High Definition at 6:30 p.m. (EDT) by ESPN2. The race will air live on the IMS Radio Network. A Spanish-language telecast of the race will be carried by ESPNDeportes. The IMS Radio Network broadcast also is carried on XM Satellite Radio and www.indycar.com. The 2008 Firestone Indy Lights season continues with the Kentucky 100 on Aug. 9. The race will air at 2 p.m. Aug. 14 on ESPN2.