MARIO MORAES- ...
MARIO MORAES- #5 KV RACING TECHNOLOGY - VOTORANTIM HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE
Mario Moraes is coming off a solid performance in Kansa where he earned a career high qualifying position of sixth. Moraes drove a smart, patient race and once again benefitted from strong pit work by his KVRT crew to score a season high 11th finish. Moraes is currently 19th in the championship standings with 43 points.
* The 2009 Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be Moraes' 20th career IndyCar start, fourth with KVRT, second at Indianapolis and 12th on an oval.
* Moraes led his first career IndyCar Series laps (3) at the 2008 Indianapolis 500.
* In 11 previous oval starts, Moraes has a best finish of 10th at Nashville in 2008. His best oval qualifying position is 6th at Kansas in 2009.
* Moraes started 28th and finished 18th at Indianapolis in 2008.
* Moraes finished 21st in the championship standings and sixth in the Bombardier Rookie of the Year standings in 2008.
* Moraes' career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008.
* Moraes has three top-10 finishes (seventh, Watkins Glen, 10th, Nashville and Infineon Raceway) in 19 career IndyCar starts. His best qualifying position is 6th at Kansas this year.
* A native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, Moraes, 20, currently resides in Miami, Florida. He is the second youngest driver in the IndyCar Series (born 12/20/88; Graham Rahal 1/4/89).
PAUL TRACY - #15 GEICO - KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE
Paul Tracy, the 2003 Champ Car World Series champion, is one of the most successful and exciting drivers in the history of open-wheel racing. The native of Canada will be sponsored by GEICO Insurance and pilot the #15 GEICO -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry during the 2009 Indianapolis 500.
* Tracy will be contesting his sixth Indy 500 and first since 2002
* This will be Tracy's first race since July 26, 2008 in Edmonton (qualified 15th, finished fourth.)
* Tracy will be contesting at least one race in his 19th season. It is his third IndyCar season (one race in 2002, the Indy 500; one race in 2008 at Edmonton)
* The 2009 Indy 500 will be Tracy's 265th career start, third in the IndyCar Series (over three different seasons) and first with KV Racing Technology.
* In five previous races at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Tracy has a best qualifying position of seventh in 1993 and a best finish of second in 2002.
* The 2002 runner-up finish was controversial. Tracy passed Helio Castroneves for the lead on lap 199 of 200. However the pass was nullified by IMS officials who determined that it occurred after the track went yellow.
* In his previous 18 seasons of competition Tracy has established himself as one of the best open-wheel drivers. He is in the top-10 in almost every career statistical category including wins, 31 (tied for seventh all-time), poles, 25 (ninth all-time), and laps led 4,238 laps (sixth all-time). He has 75 career podium performances, 102 top-five finishes and 141 top-10 showings in 264 starts (tied for seventh all-time; 262 in Champ Car and two in IndyCar).
* In the 15 seasons in which Tracy has competed in over 80% of the races, he has finished in the top-10 in the championship standings 10 times including eight times in the top-five, four in the top-three and captured the championship in 2003.
* A native of Canada, Tracy, 40, currently resides in Las Vegas, Nevada.