Molson Indy Vancouver September 5, 1999 Sunday Warm-up Notes by Alan Perry, motorsport.com - The weather: It was sunny, warm and clear on Friday. It was overcast and cool on Saturday. Everyone was saying that it was going to rain on ...
Molson Indy Vancouver September 5, 1999
Sunday Warm-up Notes by Alan Perry, motorsport.com
- The weather: It was sunny, warm and clear on Friday. It was overcast and cool on Saturday. Everyone was saying that it was going to rain on Sunday and it did rain overnight and during the session. However, the afternoon forecast is for the skies to clear by race time.
- The wet track: By the time that the warm-up session started, the track was not as wet as it had been. The Atlantic cars had their warm-up session immediately preceding the Champ cars warm-up and got some of the water off the track. As noted above, it rained a little bit during the Champ car session, but there was a clear dry line by the end of the session. Not long afterward, the track was wet again.
- After 10 minutes, the times were in the 1:15 to 1:20 range. After 20 minutes, the times had dropped to the 1:14 to 1:18 range. At the end of the session, the times were in the 1:13 to 1:15 range. The qualifying times from yesterday were in the 1:00 to 1:03 range.
- After 10 minutes, the top three were Dario Franchitti, Tony Kanaan and Paul Tracy. After 20 minutes, the top three was Paul Tracy, Dario Franchitti and Juan Montoya. At the end of the session, the top three was Tony Kanaan, Gil de Ferran and Dario Franchitti.
- During most of the session, Team Green drivers Paul Tracy and Dario Franchitti scored the top times of the session. In the last minutes of the session, Tony Kanaan, Gil de Ferran and Roberto Moreno broke up their party.
- Helio Castro-Neves driving for Hogan Racing was the first driver to complete a lap. His cars suffered a significant number of engine failures this weekend and was not allowed to put in any laps during yesterday's qualifying session.
- All-American Racing driver Andrea Montermini, who crashed his car at the end of yesterday's qualifying session and was out in the spare car this morning, put in 22 laps during the 30 minute session. That was close to twice what anyone else did.
- Naoki Hattori put in 13 laps and Jan Magnussen, Helio Castro-Neves and Roberto Moreno put in 12 laps during this session.
- Tracy and Kanaan both used the turn one run-off during the session.
- PacWest driver Mauricio Gugelmin suffered an engine problem at the end of the session. The PacWest cars run the same kind of Mercedes engines that made Helio Castro-Neves' life interesting this weekend.
- Team Target driver Jimmy Vasser didn't came out very late in the session.