Da Matta, Toyota tops at Toronto. - Today's qualifying performance marks the fourth straight road course where Toyota has had four of the top-five qualifiers. Overall, five Toyota-powered cars were in the top nine. - Cristiano da Matta's pole...
Da Matta, Toyota tops at Toronto.
- Today's qualifying performance marks the fourth straight road course where Toyota has had four of the top-five qualifiers. Overall, five Toyota-powered cars were in the top nine.
- Cristiano da Matta's pole today was the 15th for Toyota in Champ Car competition and the fourth in eight races this season. With the bonus point for winning today's pole, Toyota extends its Manufacturer's Championship lead to 26 points over Honda, 132-106.
- Cristiano da Matta's pole today is his third straight and the third of his Champ Car career. He missed a fourth pole when he lost out by .003 seconds at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. With the point as today's top qualifier, he sweeps the qualifying bonus points for the weekend and now has 97 points and leads the championship by 27 over second-place Bruno Junqueira.
- Cristiano da Matta has now been in the top-two in eight consecutive road course qualifying sessions, earning a series-high six bonus points in the process.
- With a third today, Bruno Junqueira has now qualified in the top five in seven consecutive CART races and also was the pole-sitter for the Indianapolis 500.
- Kenny Brack qualified fourth today, combining with Junqueira to give Target Chip Ganassi two cars in the top five for the sixth time in the last seven races. In addition, teammate Scott Dixon qualified ninth, giving the team three cars in the top 10.
- With a fifth today, Christian Fittipaldi earned his fourth top-five starting position of the season and made it two Newman/Haas Toyota's qualifying in the top-five for the fourth time this season.
- Pole-sitter Cristiano da Matta and Bruno Junqueira are the only CART drivers to start in the top 10 in each race this season. They also rank as the two top qualifiers on an average start basis.
- Toyota will be looking for its eighth win in the last 10 CART events in tomorrow's Molson Indy.
Toyota Drivers Molson Indy Final Qualifying
1. Cristiano da Matta
3. Bruno Junqueira
4. Kenny Brack
5. Christian Fittipaldi
9. Scott Dixon
12. Tora Takagi
16. Townsend Bell
Molson Indy, July 7, CBS, 1:30 p.m. EST/10:30 p.m. PST