Toyota 1-2 in Toronto provisional qualifying. - Toyota-powered cars finished one-two in provisional qualifying today - and took 5 of the top 7 positions. Toyota has had four of the top five qualifiers at each of the last three road...
Toyota 1-2 in Toronto provisional qualifying.
- Toyota-powered cars finished one-two in provisional qualifying today - and took 5 of the top 7 positions. Toyota has had four of the top five qualifiers at each of the last three road courses.
- Toyota's one-two in qualifying today marks the fifth time in a row that two Toyota-powered cars have topped the qualifying sheets in the last three road course qualifying sessions this season.
- With today's provisional pole, Cristiano da Matta earned his CART-high fifth qualifying point this season. Da Matta also won the provisional pole at Long Beach, was the pole-sitter at Laguna Seca and won both the provisional and final pole at Portland. Da Matta is guaranteed to start no worse than on the outside of the front row for Sunday's main event. The Havoline Toyota driver stretches his series points lead to 26 over second-place Bruno Junqueira. Da Matta will be looking for his third career pole position in final qualifying tomorrow after winning the pole at the previous two road course events.
- With Cristiano da Matta and Bruno Junqueira finishing 1-2 in qualifying today, it marks the fifth straight road course qualifying session that a Newman-Haas Toyota and Target Chip Ganassi Racing Toyota have been first and second. Kenny Brack had the Friday provisional pole at Laguna with da Matta second, while the Brazilian was first in Saturday's Monterey qualifying with Brack second. Da Matta then lead Brack at each of the two Portland qualifying sessions.
- After being the fastest in morning practice and qualifying today, Toyota-powered cars have now turned the fastest laps in 16 of the 17 dry Friday and Saturday practice and qualifying sessions run at CART's five road course events this season.
- Target Chip Ganassi Racing placed all three of its cars in the top six today. Bruno Junqueira was second, Kenny Brack fourth and Scott Dixon sixth.
- The pole position for Sunday's main event will be decided in final CART qualifying, Saturday from 1:45-2:45 p.m.
Toyota Drivers Molson Indy Provisional Qualifying
1. Cristiano da Matta
2. Bruno Junqueira
4. Kenny Brack
6. Scott Dixon
7. Christian Fittipaldi
14. Townsend Bell
18. Tora Takagi
Molson Indy, July 7, CBS, 1:30 p.m. EST/10:30 p.m. PST