What: Grand Prix of Monterey, round 16 of the 20-race CART FedEx Championship Series. When: Sunday, Sept. 10. Local start time: Noon. Broadcast: 3 p.m. Eastern on ESPN. Broadcast live on CART Radio Network affiliates. Coverage...
What: Grand Prix of Monterey, round 16 of the 20-race CART FedEx Championship Series.
When: Sunday, Sept. 10. Local start time: Noon. Broadcast: 3 p.m. Eastern on ESPN. Broadcast live on CART Radio Network affiliates. Coverage of practice, qualifying and the race is also live on CART.com. Qualifying - Saturday, Sept. 9. Practice - Friday, Sept. 8.
Where: The 2.238-mile permanent road course at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, Calif.
History: Juan Montoya started eighth and finished 16th in 1999. Jimmy Vasser started 13th and finished 18th last year.
* Team Target drivers have won two of the past four races at Laguna Seca. Former Team Target driver Alex Zanardi claimed the checkered flag in 1996 and Jimmy Vasser won the race in 1997.
* Vasser ranks eighth in the CART point standings with 86 points, just 40 behind points leader Michael Andretti. Juan Montoya ranks 12th with 77 points.
* Vasser has finished in the top five in three of his last five races in Monterey (he finished fourth in 1996, first in 1997 and fifth in 1998).
* Montoya has led 702 laps so far in 2000, more than double the next highest total (Helio Castroneves ranks second with 249 laps led).
* Montoya is seeking his fourth victory of the season. The defending CART champ won the Indianapolis 500, the Miller Lite 225 and the Michigan 500.
* Montoya has started on the pole in five races (Japan, Nazareth, Milwaukee, Detroit and Chicago) this year.
* Montoya has 12 pole positions in his 35 career CART races. By comparison, former team driver Alex Zanardi finished his remarkable CART career with 10 poles in 51 races.
* Montoya has started fifth or better in 23 of his 35 CART races.
* Target Chip Ganassi Racing is pursuing an unprecedented fifth straight CART FedEx Series championship. Montoya is the defending CART champion. Vasser won the title in 1996. Alex Zanardi won titles for Team Target in 1997 and 1998.
* Vasser has finished in the top 10 in 17 of his last 25 CART races, dating back to the 1999 race in Toronto. He has finished fifth or better in 10 of his last 23 races.
* Montoya has earned 10 of the 30 bonus championship points available to date for either winning the pole position or leading the most laps. He has swept the pole and laps-led points at Japan, Nazareth, Milwaukee, Detroit and Chicago.
* Including the Indy 500, Team Target has 33 victories in its last 88 starts.
* Either Montoya or Vasser has finished on the podium in 13 of the past 35 races.
* Team Target drivers have 58 podium finishes in the last 87 races.