"It's great to be on the pole today, not just for the extra point in the Championship, but also because starting up front at Detroit is very important. The track is so tight that it's very difficult to pass. Marlboro Team Penske has done a great...
"It's great to be on the pole today, not just for the extra point in the Championship, but also because starting up front at Detroit is very important. The track is so tight that it's very difficult to pass. Marlboro Team Penske has done a great job all weekend. Both Gil and I worked very closely on our set-ups and it all paid off in qualifying today. The Team has really worked hard on developing the car on the street circuits and I think you can see the results. I'm going to enjoy the moment now but tomorrow is the important day - we need to get as many points as possible. Detroit will always be a very special race for me, because it's where I got my first win and I hope I can repeat that result tomorrow."
Helio Castroneves, #3 Marlboro Honda Reynard
Pole position, 73.499 sec.
Third pole of season, seventh career pole
"Marlboro Team Penske did a great job today with both Helio (Castroneves) and I starting in the top three. I had a good run on my first set of tires so we waited about ten minutes before going out on our next set. The second stint started off well but unfortunately I got caught out by a red flag on one of my fast laps. We tried to improve our time at the end of the session but couldn't get a clear lap. One of the key things is a consistent car and our car has been handling well this weekend so we should be in good shape for the race."
Gil de Ferran, #1 Marlboro Honda Reynard
Third place starting position, 73.666 sec.
* This was Helio Castroneves' third pole of the season (Long Beach and Japan) and his seventh career pole. He is now tied with Kenny Brack for most poles this season.
* Of his seven poles to date, Castroneves has scored five of them on road/street circuits (Toronto, Portland, Laguna Seca - 2000; Long Beach, Detroit - 2001)
* Marlboro Team Penske has started in the top-three in each street circuit run this season (de Ferran - 3rd in Mexico and Detroit; Castroneves 1st in Long Beach and Detroit).
* This season, Marlboro Team Penske drivers have completed every lap contested on street circuits and have led 82 of 160 laps (50%)
* Marlboro Team Penske had six poles at the 11 street/road circuits run in the 2000 season - Long Beach (de Ferran); Portland (Castroneves); Toronto (Castroneves); Mid-Ohio (de Ferran); Laguna Seca (Castroneves) and Houston (de Ferran). Including three front row sweeps - Portland, Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca.
* Marlboro Team Penske had eight podium finished on last year's road/street circuits including victories at Detroit (Castroneves); Portland (de Ferran); Mid-Ohio (Castroneves) and Laguna Seca (Castroneves).
* Of the 960 laps run on road/street circuits last year, Marlboro Team Penske drivers led 399 (41%)
* This is the 130th pole for Team Penske.