What: Marlboro 500, Presented by Toyota, round 20 of the 20-race CART FedEx Championship Series. When: Sunday, Oct. 29. Local start time: 11:30 a.m. Broadcast: 2:30 p.m. Eastern on ESPN. Broadcast live on CART Radio Network affiliates.
What: Marlboro 500, Presented by Toyota, round 20 of the 20-race CART FedEx Championship Series.
When: Sunday, Oct. 29. Local start time: 11:30 a.m. Broadcast: 2:30 p.m. Eastern on ESPN. Broadcast live on CART Radio Network affiliates. Coverage of practice, qualifying and the race is also live on CART.com. Qualifying - Saturday, Oct. 28. Practice - Friday, Oct. 27.
Where: California Speedway's 2.029-mile oval in Fontana, Calif.
History: Juan Montoya started third and finished fourth in 1999. Jimmy Vasser started fourth and finished fifth last year.
* Jimmy Vasser has finished no worse than fifth in his three races at Fontana. He placed second in 1997, first in 1998 and fifth in 1999.
* Vasser is seeking his third straight podium finish. He won the Grand Prix of Houston on Oct. 1 and finished third in Australia on Oct 15.
* Juan Montoya has finished on the podium in two of his last three races. He won the Motorola 300 and finished second to Vasser in Houston.
* Montoya has started on the pole in seven races this year (Japan, Nazareth, Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis and Australia).
* Montoya is seeking his fourth CART victory of the season. The defending CART champ has won the Miller Lite 225, the Michigan 500 and the Motorola 300.
* Montoya won the Indianapolis 500 on May 28. His teammate Jimmy Vasser placed seventh at the Brickyard.
* Vasser is looking for his seventh consecutive top-eight finish. He placed fifth in Elkhart Lake, sixth in Vancouver, eighth in Monterey, seventh at Gateway, first in Houston and third in Australia. He has placed ninth or better in 14 races in 2000.
* Vasser ranks sixth in the CART point standings with 131 points. Montoya ranks 9th with 123 points.
* Vasser has qualified no worse than third in his three races at Fontana (second in 1997, second in 1998 and third in 1999).
* Montoya has led 787 laps so far in 2000, more than double the next highest total (Helio Castroneves ranks second with 330 laps led).
* Montoya has 14 pole positions in his 39 career CART races. By comparison, former team driver Alex Zanardi finished his remarkable CART career with 10 poles in 51 races.
* Montoya has started sixth or better in 29 of his 39 CART races.
* Entering the Oct. 15 race in Australia, both Vasser and Montoya were in contention for an unprecedented fifth straight CART FedEx Series championship for Target Chip Ganassi Racing. Montoya is the defending CART champion. Vasser won the title in 1996. Alex Zanardi won titles for Team Target in 1997 and 1998.
* Vasser has finished in the top 10 in 21 of his last 29 CART races, dating back to the 1999 race in Toronto. He has finished fifth or better in 12 of his last 27 races.
* Including the Indy 500, Team Target has 34 victories in its last 92 starts.
* Either Montoya or Vasser has finished on the podium in 16 of the past 39 races.