Da Matta leads Toyota front row sweep in Surfers qualifying. - Cristiano da Matta (Havoline Toyota) won his seventh pole position of the season to lead a Toyota sweep of the front row in qualifying for Sunday's Indy 300. Da Matta edged fellow ...
Da Matta leads Toyota front row sweep in Surfers qualifying.
- Cristiano da Matta (Havoline Toyota) won his seventh pole position of the season to lead a Toyota sweep of the front row in qualifying for Sunday's Indy 300. Da Matta edged fellow Toyota pilot Bruno Junqueira (Target Toyota) by one-hundredth of a second for the top spot. Junqueira was already guaranteed a front row starting position after his Friday provisional pole. His Target teammates Kenny Brack (fourth) and Scott Dixon (sixth) made it four Toyotas in the top six in qualifying.
- Today's pole position is the 11th of the season for a Toyota-powered car and the 22nd overall pole position for Toyota in Champ Car competition. Toyota will now be shooting for its third consecutive street course win after triumphs at the two most recent street events in Denver (Bruno Junqueira) and Miami (Cristiano da Matta).
- Cristiano da Matta's pole position is his seventh of the season -- the most since Juan Montoya won seven in 2000 -- also with Toyota power. Da Matta can tie the all-time CART single-season pole record of nine by winning the pole at the season's remaining two races.
- Today's provisional pole marks the 20th time this season that a Toyota-powered car has been on top in the 30 CART qualifying sessions -- almost triple the amount of any other engine manufacturer. Honda is the closest to Toyota with seven fast times, while Ford has had three. In addition, Toyota-powered cars have been the fastest in 18 of the last 24 road course qualifying sessions.
- Today's pole by Cristiano da Matta marks the fourth pole in the last six races for a Toyota-powered car after Bruno Junqueira won poles at Road America and Denver, and Kenny Brack took the top spot in England.
- Bruno Junqueira (second) and Kenny Brack (fourth) give Target Chip Ganassi Racing two cars in the top five for the 11th time in 17 races this season. Their teammate, Scott Dixon, gave the team three of the top six in today's qualifying.
- With his pole today, Cristiano da Matta extends his top-10 qualifying streak to 22 races --dating back to the Germany race last season. It also marks the 15th time in his last 19 races that he's been in the top five.
- With a Toyota on the top of every practice and qualifying session this weekend, Toyota-powered cars have now turned the fastest lap in 38 of the last 48 road course practice and qualifying sessions this season.
- With today's pole point, Toyota extends its Manufacturer's lead to 47 points over Honda.
Toyota Australia Qualifying:
1. Cristiano da Matta
2. Bruno Junqueira
4. Kenny Brack
6. Scott Dixon
9. Oriol Servia
13. Christian Fittipaldi