Junqueira, Toyota on provisional pole in Surfers Friday qualifying. - Bruno Junqueira (Target Toyota) topped the charts in Friday provisional qualifying, guaranteeing him a front row starting spot for Sunday's Indy 300 and one bonus point. The...
Junqueira, Toyota on provisional pole in Surfers Friday qualifying.
- Bruno Junqueira (Target Toyota) topped the charts in Friday provisional qualifying, guaranteeing him a front row starting spot for Sunday's Indy 300 and one bonus point. The Brazilian is the first of three Toyota-powered drivers in the top four as he led Target Ganassi teammate Scott Dixon (third) and series champion Cristiano da Matta (fourth).
- Today's provisional pole marks the 19th time this season that a Toyota-powered car has been on top in the 29 CART qualifying sessions -- more than double the amount of any other engine manufacturer. Honda is the closest to Toyota with seven fast times, while Ford has had three. In addition, Toyota-powered cars have been the fastest in 17 of the last 23 road course qualifying sessions.
- Bruno Junqueira is on pace for his fourth pole of the season after previously winning poles at Motegi, Road America and Denver. He also had one pole in his rookie season a year ago on the oval at Nazareth.
- With a third in provisional qualifying today, Scott Dixon (Target Toyota) is in position to earn his third straight top-four starting position on a street course. The Brisbane-born New Zealander qualified fourth at Denver and then earned a career-best second starting position in Miami in CART's most recent event.
- Bruno Junqueira and Scott Dixon are on pace to give Target Chip Ganassi Racing two cars in the top five for the 11th time in 17 races this season.
- Cristiano da Matta (Havoline Toyota) made it three Toyotas in the top four with a fourth-place effort in qualifying today. He is on pace to extend his top-10 qualifying streak to 22 races -- dating back to the Germany race last season. If he maintains his top-five qualifying spot, it would mark the 15th time in his last 19 races that he's started in the top five.
- After being fastest in both of today's practice (Cristiano da Matta) and qualifying sessions, Toyota-powered cars have now turned the fastest lap in 36 of the last 46 road course practice and qualifying sessions this season.
Toyota Australia Provisional Qualifying:
1. Bruno Junqueira
3. Scott Dixon
4. Cristiano da Matta
11. Tora Takagi
12. Oriol Servia
13. Kenny Brack
18. Christian Fittipaldi
Australia Indy 300, Oct. 27, SPEED 12:00 midnight (Eastern)/Oct. 26, 9 p.m. (Pacific)