1. BRUNO JUNQUEIRA ( ...
1. BRUNO JUNQUEIRA (#1 PacifiCare Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "Road courses have always been my favorites. This track is my favorite on the CART circuit. It reminds me a lot of tracks like Spa and Barcelona where I used to do well at when I raced F3000. We are happy to have such a big advantage today but we don't know how the track will be tomorrow."
2. SEBASTIEN BOURDAIS (#2 Lilly Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "I knew I was on a pretty good lap at the end but we still have work to do for tomorrow. I feel pretty comfortable at the track but honestly I felt more comfortable here after our testing. I feel confident about what we need to do, we just need to work on our setup and go for pole tomorrow."
3. PAUL TRACY (#3 Player's/Indeck Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "I flat spotted my front tires on my first quick lap and the car had a lot of vibrations after that. The car also had too much understeer, pushing just about everywhere. The second set was better as I cut two seconds off my previous time. Team Player's needs to improve the speed at some corners, find the right balance between the front and the rear as we are a little bit off. I started to run out of fuel on my last lap so I was unable to score a quick one. We'll do better tomorrow."
4. ADRIAN FERNANDEZ (#51 Tecate/Quaker State/Telmex Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "Surprisingly the car was good for qualifying. I was not very optimistic after the morning practice, but the car had a better balance. Obviously we still had some of the same problems but in another level. It was a nice surprise to have the car fast and we were very tight to second place. We just need to improve it a little bit in two corners where I am having some gear problems and it should be better. I think we have a good baseline right now."
5. PATRICK CARPENTIER (#32 Player's/Indeck Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "Except for Bruno (Junqueira) who is ahead by a bit, we are all bunched up. I'm fifth, but it's a good fifth place time wise. Team Player's made some changes prior to qualifying and I found that we had fewer problems with the power transmitting to the rear wheels during qualifying. I would run a very good section, and then I was unable to back it up in the second one and vice-versa. The car is running fine and Team Player's just needs to make some small adjustments to make it better for Saturday. I'm very confident we will improve our position for the race."
8. MICHEL JOURDAIN JR. (#9 Gigante Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "The Gigante car is very good. Bruno [Junqueira] is really quick, but I think we are just as fast. They told me my last lap would have put us second, but I made a mistake and crashed before the timing line. Hopefully the track will be faster tomorrow and we won't have any rain and we can put our car up front."
10. ORIOL SERVIA (#20 Visteon/Patrick Racing Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "The Visteon/Patrick Racing Team spent a lot of time working on the setup today. I think we made a lot of progress, but, obviously, we are not where we want to be. The Visteon/Patrick Racing engineering staff has a good idea of what we need to do and we are definitely headed in the right direction. We just need to go over all the data and figure out a program for tomorrow. I am confident that we can make the changes necessary to find some more speed and that we will be quicker in final qualifying."
11. MARIO DOMINGUEZ (#55 Herdez Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "The car doesn't have as much grip as I thought it was going to have. We made a couple of changes but they didn't really improve the car much. Based on the testing we've done, we really expected to be further up the front of the pack. We'll just go back now and look at the set up and work from there for tomorrow."
12. TIAGO MONTEIRO (#7 Fittipaldi-Dingman Racing Ford-Cosworth/Reynard/Bridgestone): "We improved a lot on the car and the balance, but so did everybody else. We had problems earlier and had to go back to the old wing and we're pretty sure that that cost us some. It's a shame we couldn't stay with what we had because we lost 2 to 3 tenths and with the field so tight we lost lots of places with that small change. We should do better tomorrow."
14. MAX PAPIS (#27 PK Racing Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone) "We are continuing to make improvements. We were quite consistent and quick on the first set of tires. We couldn't make the most out of the second set of tires because traffic slowed me down quite a bit. We didn't make any progress we wanted to during qualifying, but we will take steps forward to see how we can find more speeding during qualifying. It's a shame, because there was more in the car than what we were able to show today."
No Time. ROBERTO MORENO (#4 Herdez Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "We went out for the ten minute practice session and everything seemed fine. When I went out of the pits for qualifying, I did my "out" lap but by the time I came around to the pits the next time I had to come in. It was just slipping badly; the engine doesn't drive the wheels - so something must be broken. It's a shame because although we didn't start with a very good car today, we made huge progress in the first session. We stayed on old tires so that we could work on developing the car without using up tires. We'll just have to make it count tomorrow."
No Time. ALEX TAGLIANI (#33 Johnson Controls Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "Unbelievable. I was coming up over the ridge at 160mph. Monteiro was trying to pass Haberfeld and went off course. Monteiro was on one side of the track and Haberfeld slowed on the other side of the track and must have been in first gear. I tried to brake and turn, but I locked up the brakes and had nowhere to go. It's incredible; I've had it with these [Mi-Jack Conquest Racing and Fittipaldi-Dingman Racing] teams. These guys are not conscious of where other guys are on the track. They think they are the only ones out there. The probation that was handed down was not enough. Points should be taken away."
No Time. MARIO HABERFELD (#34 Mi-Jack Conquest Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone): "I don't know really what happened. I was letting Tiago (Monteiro) pass on the left and he went right; onto the grass. I had to slow down because I didn't know where he was going to end up and then Tagliani hit me from behind. Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow and we'll be able to get a good run."