Easy as 1-2-3, Toyota dominates Portland Friday qualifying. - Toyota-powered cars finished 1-2-3 in provisional qualifying today - and took 7 of the top 8 positions. Toyota has had four of the top five qualifiers at each of the last two road...
Easy as 1-2-3, Toyota dominates Portland Friday qualifying.
- Toyota-powered cars finished 1-2-3 in provisional qualifying today - and took 7 of the top 8 positions. Toyota has had four of the top five qualifiers at each of the last two road courses.
- Toyota's one-two in qualifying today marks the fourth time that two Toyota-powered cars have topped the qualifying sheets in the last five road course qualifying sessions this season.
- With today's provisional pole, Cristiano da Matta earned his CART-high third qualifying point this season. Da Matta also won the provisional pole at Long Beach and was the pole-sitter at Laguna Seca last weekend. Da Matta is guaranteed to start no worse than on the outside of the front row for Sunday's main event. The Chevron Toyota driver stretches his series points lead to six over second-place Michel Jourdain. Da Matta will be looking for his second career pole position in final qualifying tomorrow after winning the pole last week.
- With Cristiano da Matta and Kenny Brack finishing 1-2 in qualifying today, it marks the third straight road course qualifying session that the duo have been first and second. Brack had the Friday provisional pole at Laguna with da Matta second, while the Brazilian was first in Saturday's Monterey qualifying with Brack second.
- After being the fastest in morning practice and qualifying today, Toyota-powered cars have now turned the fastest laps in 12 of the 13 dry Friday and Saturday practice and qualifying sessions run at CART's four road course events this season. Da Matta has been first in four of the last six road course sessions with only Kenny Brack (Laguna provisional qualifying) and Christian Fittipaldi (this morning's practice) breaking his string.
- Target Chip Ganassi Racing placed all three of its cars in the top 10 today for the second consecutive week with Kenny Brack first, Scott Dixon seventh and Bruno Junqueira eighth.
- The pole position for Sunday's main event will be decided in final CART qualifying, Saturday from 1:45-2:45 p.m.
Cristiano da Matta, #6 Chevron Toyota: "Our Chevron Toyota has been working well everywhere we've gone where we've had to turn both left and right (road courses). It's a relief to be on the pole. We get an important point and no matter what happens tomorrow, we're guaranteed to start on the front row on Sunday."
Kenny Brack, #12 Target Toyota: "We had a solid run in the Target Toyota. I think we've found a really good road course set-up. It was very close today - less than a tenth is the difference to the pole. We're happy with where we are sitting and hope to do a little better tomorrow. The Target team has come a long way since the start of the season. We're starting to get a pretty good grip on what we need to do on the road courses."
Toyota Drivers G.I. Joe's 200 Friday Provisional Qualifying
1. Cristiano da Matta
2. Kenny Brack
3. Christian Fittipaldi
5. Townsend Bell
6. Tora Takagi
7. Scott Dixon
8. Bruno Junqueira
G.I. Joe's 200, June 16, CBS, 3:30 p.m. EST/12:30 p.m. PST