Molson Indy Round 10-2001 Fedex Championship Series Exhibition Place-Toronto, Canada-July 13-15 What: Molson Indy-Round 10 of the 21-race CART FedEx Championship Series When: Sunday, July 15. Broadcast: 1 p.m. ET on ESPN. Broadcast live...
Round 10-2001 Fedex Championship Series
Exhibition Place-Toronto, Canada-July 13-15
What: Molson Indy-Round 10 of the 21-race CART FedEx Championship Series
When: Sunday, July 15. Broadcast: 1 p.m. ET on ESPN. Broadcast live on CART Radio Network affiliates. Qualifying television coverage: Saturday, July 14; 5:00 p.m. ESPN2. Coverage of practice, qualifying and the race is also live on CART.com. Practice-Friday, July 13.
Where: The 1.755-mile temporary road course in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mauricio Gugelmin Fast Facts
#17 Nextel PacWest Toyota
* Mauricio Gugelmin enters Toronto's Molson Indy off his third top-ten result of the season. At Cleveland, Gugelmin was nearly lapped early in the race due to time lost from pit equipment failure, but battled back to finish tenth and set the fifth-fastest race lap.
* CART's top qualifier in 1997, Gugelmin is again finding himself at the top of the time charts. His Cleveland pole position was his first since the 1997 season, and the fourth race in a row Mauricio improved his qualifying position.
* Gugelmin has scored three top-ten finishes this season; all have come in the four most recent outings.
* Mauricio's career best finish in Toronto is a sixth-place finish in 1997. Gugelmin has twice started in the top-ten for the event, most recently doing so last year. Mechanical problems put an end to his day before the halfway point of the 2000 race, relegating him to a 15th place finish.
* Gugelmin, one of CART's most experienced drivers, is in his ninth year of FedEx Championship Series competition, and eighth full season.
Mauricio Gugelmin Quote
"I'm quite excited to head back to Canada. The fans there are so enthusiastic about our series, and racing in general, and the energy they bring to the track really carries over to the teams and drivers. Last year we qualified pretty well (10th) but our day ended early with electrical problems. The track is very challenging, with very few passing points, and it demands a great deal of finesse and concentration. We should be primed to put in a good result for our friends north of the border. I know my Nextel crew and I will be ready."
Scott Dixon Fast Facts
#18 Powerware Panasonic PacWest Toyota
* PacWest Racing rookie driver, Scott Dixon, ranks ninth in the 2001 CART FedEx Series with 44 points.
* Dixon has captured four top-tens in the last six races. Unfortunately, Cleveland was not one of those, as bad weather in qualifying forced the second group to start at the back of the grid and equipment problems led to a disappointing result following a stellar start to the race where Scott gained eight positions before the second turn.
* Dixon leads the battle for the Jim Trueman Rookie of the Year Award, leading his nearest rival by 21 points.
* Dixon is the youngest-ever winner of a Champ Car race, scoring a victory earlier this season in Nazareth at the age of 20.
* In 1999, Scott started and finished 18th in the Dayton Indy Lights Race at Toronto. The series did not visit Toronto last season, taking a one-year break before returning for this year's event.
* Dixon was the 2000 Dayton Indy Lights Champion with six wins, seven podiums, and one pole position, finishing the season with 155 points.
Scott Dixon Quote
"I think from Portland to Cleveland we have made a lot of progress. What we learned at Cleveland will definitely help us at Toronto. We were running well at Cleveland until I made contact with another driver - so we were definitely headed in the right direction, which I'm confident will carry over to Toronto. I raced at Toronto in Indy Lights back in 1999 and from what I remember the course is very interesting. I like the corners on this circuit - the car has to have a good speed for the middle of the corner and this where you can pick up a lot of time. If we can move higher on the starting grid, everything else will fall into place. With the Toyota Reynard package and the set-up my engineers have been giving me, we've had pretty good success moving up the field during the race and I'm confident we can do this again at Toronto. The battle for points starts heating up now and a strong performance at Toronto will put us in good shape."