Scott Dixon Fast Facts ...
Scott Dixon Fast Facts
#18 Powerware Panasonic PacWest Toyota
* PacWest Racing rookie driver, Scott Dixon, ranks 7th in the 2001 CART FedEx Series with 20 points.
* Dixon captured his first win at Nazareth in only his third Champ Car start.
* Dixon is the youngest-ever winner of a Champ Car race.
* Dixon's win from the 23rd starting position represented the second deepest on the starting grid a driver has ever come home with a victory. Mike Mosley drove to victory from 25th on the grid at the Milwaukee Mile in 1981.
* Dixon was the 2000 Dayton Indy Lights Champion with six wins, seven podiums, and one pole position, finishing the season with 155 points.
Scott Dixon Quotes
"I'm very fortunate my teammate, Mauricio Gugelmin, will be back in action with me at Motegi. I've never raced there before, and his knowledge and information will really help me. Obviously, we had a great run at Nazareth and proved to be strong on ovals with the Toyota Reynard package. The team is still on such a high from our win and I'm sure we'll carry that momentum onto Motegi. It's still all sinking in and this week has been pretty hectic, but now it's time to concentrate on the next race. I'm currently seventh in points, and with Milwaukee coming up after Motegi we need to continue earning points, which will really help us in qualifying."
Mauricio Gugelmin Fast Facts
#17 Nextel PacWest Toyota
* Mauricio Gugelmin returns to racing after withdrawing from Nazareth due to his son's death, ending his 130 consecutive CART race dating from Mid-Ohio in 1993, the longest streak in CART history.
* This will be the fourth time Gugelmin has competed at Twin Ring Motegi. In three previous races he had two DNF's (in 1998 and 2000) and started second on the grid in route to a 7th place finish in 1999.
* Gugelmin, one of CART's most experienced drivers, is in his ninth year of FedEx Championship Series competition.
* In 1995, Gugelmin established his reputation on superspeedways by leading the most laps at the Indianapolis 500 and running strongly at Michigan.
Mauricio Gugelmin Quotes
"I am now back to 100 percent and I'm ready to get back to racing in Motegi. The last couple of weeks have been very difficult for me and my family [following the passing of his six-year-old son, Giuliano], and I would like to thank everyone for all of the support they've shown. I have been overwhelmed with all of the condolences we have received, and it reminds me of just how many friends I have all over the world. As far as this weekend is concerned, Motegi is a great place to race and I have enjoyed various degrees of success there over the last few years. We've managed to put together some good performances at Twin Ring, and I won't settle for anything less this time around. I plan on representing Toyota well in Japan, and I think that with [teammate] Scott's [Dixon] victory in Nazareth, we are on the right track to continue our momentum. My team (PacWest) is on a high right now, so I know we will be prepared to compete at the highest level. It will be nice to see all of my friends again and climb back behind the wheel of my car. I'm sure she has missed me."