Texaco/Havoline/Kmart Driver da Matta Charged From A Third Place Start To His Third Overall Victory And First On A Street Course In The CART FedEx Series Honda Indy 300 In Australia Fast Facts - October 28, 2001 * TWO WINS THIS SEASON:...
Texaco/Havoline/Kmart Driver da Matta Charged From A Third Place Start To His Third Overall Victory And First On A Street Course In The CART FedEx Series Honda Indy 300 In Australia
Fast Facts - October 28, 2001
* TWO WINS THIS SEASON: Cristiano da Matta, 27, won his THIRD overall CART FedEx Championship Series event today as well as his SECOND of the season and FIRST on a street course. It was his FOURTH appearance on the podium this season while driving the No. 6 Texaco/Havoline/Kmart Toyota-Lola in his FIRST season with Newman/Haas Racing. He drove to his first CART victory on the oval track in Chicago in '00 where he defeated Michael Andretti by 1.6 seconds and scored his second win on the road course in Monterrey, Mexico in his '01 debut for the team. This is his third season with Toyota power and first in a Lola Champ car Chassis. It was his 59th start.
* SUCCESS IN AUSTRALIA: Newman/Haas Racing has a total of THREE wins here (Mansell - '93; Paul Tracy - '95; da Matta - '01) and a total of FIVE podium finishes (Mario Andretti 3rd - '94; Michael Andretti 3rd - '97; Christian Fittipaldi 3rd - '98; da Matta - today).
* A LITTLE HELP FROM THE TEXACO "STAR": The last series da Matta drove a Texaco-sponsored car in, he scored four wins and four poles in nine events en route to the 1993 Brazilian Formula Ford Championship.
* 60th WIN FOR NHR: da Matta brought Newman/Haas Racing its 60th victory in its 315th race.
* ADDED NAME TO ILLUSTRIOUS LIST: With his victories for Newman/Haas Racing, da Matta added his name to the list of wins from previous team drivers Mario and Michael Andretti, Nigel Mansell, Paul Tracy and Christian Fittipaldi. Only Nigel Mansell and da Matta scored wins for the team in each of their debuts. Da Matta's victory in Mexico was the eighth win in a season-opener for the team since first competing in 1983.
* 10 OVERALL FOR TOYOTA: Today's victory marked the 10TH for Toyota since joining the series and THIRD by da Matta. Juan Montoya won races for Toyota in Milwaukee, Michigan, and St. Louis while Jimmy Vasser won the Houston race and da Matta won in Chicago - all in 2000. Da Matta got the 2001 season off to a good start with a victory for Toyota in the season-opening race in Mexico, Scott Dixon won in Nazareth, Bruno Junqueira won in Elkhart Lake and Roberto Moreno won in Vancouver.
* 106th WIN FOR LOLA: The AUSTRALIA victory marks the 106th for Lola, and the 56th by NHR of 106.
* EIGHT CHAMPIONSHIPS TO DATE: Da Matta started his racing career in go-kart racing and won eight championships along his way to the Champ car series. His championship win in the Indy Lights series in 1998 caught the attention of CART Champ Car teams and earned him a ride with Arciero-Wells/PPI Motorsports.
* CHAMPIONSHIPS WON: 1998 - Indy Lights Champion after leading the series with four victories, three poles and eight podium finishes; also ran in and won the Annual 12 hours Granja Viana Go-Kart Race; 1994 - Brazilian Formula 3; 1993 - Brazilian Formula Ford; 1992 - Sao Paulo Karting Championship; 1991 - Brazilian Karting Championship; 1991 and 1990 - Minas Gerais State Karting championship.