Ken Plotkin - motorsport.com Nazareth, PA, April 9, 2000 - Due to inclement weather, today's Bosch Spark Plug Grand Prix has been postponed until Saturday, May 27. CART CEO Andrew Craig made the announcement at 10:00 AM local time. "We are...
Ken Plotkin - motorsport.com
Nazareth, PA, April 9, 2000 - Due to inclement weather, today's Bosch Spark Plug Grand Prix has been postponed until Saturday, May 27.
CART CEO Andrew Craig made the announcement at 10:00 AM local time.
"We are postponing the event. We're not going to run today. We're not going to run tomorrow. In fact, we're going to come back on another date. There are two reasons for this. First, for the fans. Then there are some safety aspects. From the fans perspective, if we wanted, we could sit here all day. Maybe the weather gets better, maybe it doesn't. We could sit here all day and leave an awful lot of good people wondering what's happening.
"So we decided that we would not do that. We would make the immediate decision to postpone today. We think that was the right decision from the fans' point of view.
"If we wanted to, we could sit here and try to get this race in tomorrow morning. But we don't think that's the right thing either. We think the fans have paid for a race. We think the right thing to do is come back on another date and give the fans what they have paid for, and that's a motor race."
The decision to postpone was made jointly by Andrew Craig, Nazareth Speedway President Craig Rust and CART Chief Steward Kirk Russell. CART teams were consulted, and were in agreement with the decision and the new date.
Kirk Russell explained the obvious safety issues associated with attempting to run in cold weather.
"The cold temperatures are a real problem With the tires. You know how these cars are when temperatures get below 50 degrees. These are real concerns, and we don't see relief from the weather. If we do get a clear hole [in precipitation] the weather will be too cold to have a good safe race."
Details of today's television broadcast will be released later today.