Bridgestone Potenza 500 <pre> Race Results Start/Finish ...
Bridgestone Potenza 500 <pre> Race Results Start/Finish #4 Bruno Junqueira 1/1 #17 Oriol Servia 20/6 #5 Tora Takagi 11/8 #7 Scott Dixon 15/9 #11 Christian Fittipaldi 16/12 #6 Cristiano da Matta 8/13 #20 Townsend Bell 10/14 #12 Kenny Brack 4/17 </pre>
Junqueira, Toyota win from the pole at Motegi; Toyota's fourth win in last five champ car races.
- Starting from the pole, Bruno Junqueira ran in the top-three the entire day on his way to an impressive 12.282-second victory to win the Bridgestone Potenza 500. In the process, Junqueira lapped all but one car in the field. On the way to the victory, he also led a career-high 54 laps in his Target Chip Ganassi Racing Toyota.
- Bruno Junqueira's victory today is his first of the season and the second of his Champ Car career (Road America, 2001 was the other) - both coming with Toyota power. It's his first oval victory.
- Today's victory is the second in three races this season for Toyota and marks the manufacturer's fourth win in the last five CART races. It's Toyota's 13th all-time Champ Car victory and the first for Toyota at Twin Ring Motegi.
- With today's victory, Toyota regains the CART Manufacturer's Championship lead with 54 points.
- Oriol Servia earned a season-best sixth today, despite starting the race from the 20th position.
- Tora Takagi finished a strong eighth today. The second-year driver was running in the top five before a pit lane violation resulted in a drive-through penalty that cost him two laps and a shot at a potential podium finish.
- Scott Dixon made it four Toyotas in the top 10 with a ninth-place showing. With the finish, PWR placed two cars in the top 10 for the second time in three 2002 races.
Jim Aust, Toyota vice president of motorsports: "We're thrilled to have a Toyota in the Winner's Circle here in Japan. I'm confident in saying this ranks as the program's most important victory to date. Bruno and the Target team were simply outstanding this weekend. They were the fastest on Friday, won the pole on Saturday and then won the race today. There's nothing more that you can ask out of any driver or team. In addition, I can't say enough about our staff at TRD and the hard work they've put in to get us into Victory lane here at Motegi."
Manufacturer's Championship: Toyota 54, Honda 53, Ford 45
Next Race: Miller Lite 250, June 2nd, CBS 12:30 p.m. EDT