Toyota, da Matta win Montreal pole. - Cristiano da Matta won his sixth pole of the season and Target teammates Bruno Junqueira (third) and Kenny Brack (fifth) made it three Toyotas in the top five in qualifying for Sunday's Molson Indy ...
Toyota, da Matta win Montreal pole.
- Cristiano da Matta won his sixth pole of the season and Target teammates Bruno Junqueira (third) and Kenny Brack (fifth) made it three Toyotas in the top five in qualifying for Sunday's Molson Indy Montreal.
- Today's poleposition is the eighth of the season for a Toyota-powered car and the 19thoverall pole position for Toyota in Champ Car competition.
- Today's pole marks the 15th time this season that a Toyota-powered car has been on top in the 23 CART qualifying sessions triple the amount of any other engine manufacturer. Honda is the closest to Toyota with five fast times, while Ford has had three. In addition, Toyota-powered cars have been the fastest in 14 of the last 18 road course qualifying sessions.
- Cristiano da Matta's pole today is his sixth of the season. It also marks the 12th time he's been the fastest qualifier in 23 CART qualifying sessions this season. With the bonus point for the pole, da Matta has now earned a total of 17 this season (12 for qualifying, five for most laps led), the total is more than a second-place race finish. He now leads the championship by 44 points over Bruno Junqueira.
- - With his pole today, Cristiano da Matta (Havoline Toyota) now has eight front-rowstarting spots in 2002, no other driver has more than three.
- After being the fastest in all four of this weekend's practice and qualifying sessions, Toyota-powered cars have now turned the fastest lap in 29 of the last 36 road course practiceand qualifying sessions this season.
- Bruno Junqueira (Target Toyota) earned his ninth top-five start of the season with a third today. He sat on the pole last weekendat Road America.
- Kenny Brack (TargetToyota) made it three Toyotas in the top-five and gave Target Chip Ganassi Racing two cars in the top five for the eighth time in 13 races thisseason. Scott Dixon finished seventhtoday to make it three Target Toyotas in the first seven.
- With the bonus point for winning today's pole position, Toyota extends its Manufacturer'sChampionship lead to 29 points over second-place Honda, 210-181. Ford is third 45 points behind with 164.
Toyota Montreal Final Qualifying:
1. Cristiano da Matta
3. Bruno Junqueira
5. Kenny Brack
7. Scott Dixon
14. Oriol Servia
Molson Indy Montreal, Aug.25, SPEED, 2:00 p.m. EDT