Toyota sweeps top-6 in Montreal provisional qualifying. - Cristiano da Matta led a Toyota sweep of the top-six spots in Friday's provisional qualifying at Montreal, with each of the seven Toyota-powered cars finishing in the top eight in the ...
Toyota sweeps top-6 in Montreal provisional qualifying.
- Cristiano da Matta led a Toyota sweep of the top-six spots in Friday's provisional qualifying at Montreal, with each of the seven Toyota-powered cars finishing in the top eight in the session.
- Today's provisional pole marks the 14th time this season that a Toyota-powered car has been on the top of the a CART qualifying session almost triple the amount of any other engine manufacturer. Honda is the closest to Toyota with five fast times, while Ford has had three.
- Cristiano da Matta's (Havoline Toyota) provisional pole today marks the 11th time he's been the fastest qualifier in 22 CART qualifying sessions this season. With the bonus point for thepole, da Matta has now earned a total of 16 this season (11 for qualifying, five for most laps led), the total is equal to a second-place race finish.
- With today's provisional pole, Cristiano da Matta is guaranteed at least a front-row starting position for Sunday's race. The Brazilian now has eight front-row starting spots in 2002, no other driver has more than three.
- Scott Dixon registered the second-fastest time of the session and is on pace for acareer-best qualifying effort if he can maintain that spot tomorrow. It's the third straight qualifying session that ended with the front row being shared by the Newman/Haas and Target Ganassi Toyotas.
- Kenny Brack (TargetToyota) made it three Toyotas in the top-three and gave two Target Chip Ganassi Toyotas in the top three as well. Tora Takagi and Christian Fittipaldi rounded out an all-Toyota top-five.
- After being fastest in today's practice and qualifying sessions, Toyota-powered cars have now turned the fastest lap in 27 of the last 34 road course practice and qualifying sessions this season. Four different Toyota drivers have combined for that total with Cristiano da Matta, Bruno Junqueira, Kenny Brack and Christian Fittipaldi all on top at least once.
Toyota MontrealProvisional Qualifying:
1. Cristiano da Matta
2. Scott Dixon
3. Kenny Brack
4. Tora Takagi
5. Christian Fittipaldi
6. Oriol Servia
8. Bruno Junqueira
MOLSON INDY MONTREAL, Aug. 25, SPEED, 2:00 p.m. EDT